checking prices for sprinter parts

prepaid

Expert Expediter
I was checking out the new sprinter at western freightliner in dayton.I was going to buy one,but I thought better check on the common parts that usaully go out on most vans.I check on the alternator and found out it is a whopping $900.00 for a new one.and then I checked on a new transmission $6300.00.I changed my mine on buying one.I was buying one for better milage and the high rise roof.If any driver goes out in buys one thinking it will never break down good luck.If you have to buy a transmission there goes your savings!!!!!:-(

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey prepaid!
lets add this to the list.
There is no way to check the tranny fluid, you have to take it to your local dealer to have it checked. I also looked into buying one of those sprinters. Fed ex ground has 1900 new sprinters, and the guys that drive them, love the ride so far, but tell me they don't have any room to move around in them, because of the shelving that was added. I met a guy in the Buckeye that has owned one for three weeks now and told me the tires (15 inch) are to small for the van. He can't change them or he will break his warranty. He said it rides great empty, but if he puts a load of 2500 lbs, on it and goes down the road, he gets sea sick from all the sway. The max pay load is 5001 lbs. He told me that thing is all over the road. I changed my mind ASAP. I did read that the 2002's upgraded the tires to 16 inch

Did you take a look at the new Chevy/GMC, That EO did the interveiw about? I will be doing some investigating on that van real soon.

prepaid

Expert Expediter
I have two gmc vans now 1998 and a 2000.I have not had to much trouble at all with them and they have the vortec engines.I will stay with the gm vans.I believe gm will keep improving the vans.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If your all interested in a Cargo van check out this site.
[www.unicell.com] it is available on Chevy, GM, and Ford, IT gives you the room your looking for, has the space for skids in width, and is a one peice body, body can be change to include a window in rear door, and on side if wanted. Insulated, e-tarack or eye-lets for cargo area and bulkhead. Check it out. Only problem that theres a possiblilty is the rear swing up door, its like a lift back but suppose to clear for a fork lift to get the load in and out with ease. I have seen one inperson, and it looks great, its approx $35,000, only about 2 grand more than the Sprinter. Depending on the accessories you add.
Frank Katz:) :)

G

For that kind of money, you may as well have a "C" truck.. I do know I can get a new Allison trans for less than $5,000 after the 5 year warranty ($700 extra for 5 year warranty, 2 yr is standard) runs out. If you can't even check the fluid yourself, then you'd surely have to pay them for changing it.. I can do the Allison in my back yard with no special tools.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I checked the Sprinter out very carefully. It will end up being one EXPENSIVE cargo van for the long run compared to the domestic vans. Plus I highly doubt your local mechanic will touch it, so it's off to Mr. Ripoff Freightliner dealer.