Charging A/C

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have slowly been loosing the coolant in my A/C and went to get it recharged. However, the shop was unable to add refrigerant to the A/C because of corrosion on the fitting. They tried cleaning it, but were unable to get a good seal. Cost me $75.00 in Chicago and they couldn't do anything and I got to spend the 85 degree days in a hot truck and the nights at the motel. Next time you are under the hood of your truck, make sure that the plastic caps for the charging and evacuation of the A/C are not broken or missing.

Drive Safe

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Unfortunately the fittings are permanent parts of the lines and the entire low pressure line must be replaced if the charge fitting is too screwed up, and you could wind up getting into a nightmare with the thing. Try cleaning it up with a small Dremel tool with the wire wheel attachment before replacing the line. If you have to take the line off, the system will have to be evacuated and recharged, etc. Bring the truck to a good shop specializing in A/C to get everything done right the first time if you have to go this far.
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Larry, though I’m no Wrench monkey like Weave, (See his picture) I thought I’d add my 2cents.

You may also want to find out why your slowly loosing coolant? A unit shouldn’t loose coolant unless it has a leak in it. As Weave stated, do it right the first time. Good Luck!!!

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the info. I'll try the Dremel tool this week. I have to get the fitting cleaned up or replaced before we can inspect the system for leaks.

Take care and drive safe.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In many instances of just a minor refrigerant leak, suck as an O ring, one can recharge the system and get away with a small leak for the summer, and have the system properly fixed during downtime in the winter. If Larry can get that fitting to accept the charge adapter, he might get away with this, and can have a pro find the original leak and fix the system when things slow down. Even if the adapter wont click on, you are only holding back about 25-30 PSI on the low end- if one guy can hold the can of refrigerant upright, the other can probably push the adapter down hard enough to open the schraeder valve and get the refrigerant to flow into the system. Believe me, I know how painful it is in a truck with no A/C down south! Sometimes Mickey Mouse prevails to get you by :D
-Weave-

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We'll give it all a try this week and see what happens. I'll keep you posted on both the A/C and the whining transmission.

Drive Safe