Cell Phone Cloning

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In the last 2 years my cell phone has been cloned twice. It happend on the Labor Day weekend in 2001 and on October 12 this year. Both times the signal was picked up in the New York Ciry area. When the phone is on even if it is not being used it still transmits a small signal to the closest tower. This signal can be picked up by scanning equipment which can then decipher the phones serial number and as a result get the phone numer.Then the bad guys can program a stolen phone with your number and get 1-3 days useage before your provider picks it up and shuts that number down. If you use the phone in these areas it is even easier to pirate the signal.
On October 12 we were at LaGuardia Airport in Flushing NY (Queens) for a pickup going to Columbia SC.I had to use my phone twice,once to locate the shipper and once to call dispatch. Starting at 1251 AM on October 13 till 851 AM on October 14 I had 61 calls made and charged to my phone. Most of the calls went to Vietnam and Cuba with a bunch made to Texas and California. Cingular Wirelss called me first thing Monday Morning on the 14th to tell me about it and shut the number down.They catch this by seeing calls made from the phone locked into 1 tower while the phone is in standby or being used on another tower. These calls came to $1,308.54,fortunately they said they would waive those charges which I think they have to do,but it was a real pain in the --- for sure. It really got me poed knowing that this sort of stuff goes on. Best to always check your bill carefully and look out for NYC and Chicago phone thieves,seems like they could encrypt your signal to only use a number that relates to your phone serial number once..