cdl

madman47112

Expert Expediter
what excatly is a class c cdl to drive a cargo van.i know you dont have to have a cdl to drive a van but i see alot of companies want cdl with hazmat.i was wanting to drive a van for the freedom from logs and hos. any comments would be appreciated

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A CDL is not needed to drive a van EXCEPT when hauling Hazmat.Therefore most expedite carriers require van drivers to have them.You also must log any run that involves haxmat.I belive Lawrence said Try Hours and Express 1 are the only outfits not running Hazmat.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Madman - I can only speak for Express-1, but yes we do not haul hazmat. we don't neccessarily require a CDL per se, but all of our drivers in vans and sprinters must carry at least a chauffeurs endorsement on their license and have a valid DOT physical. Some states refer to the chauffeurs endorsement as a class 'C'. I hope this clears up any confusion. Thanx - X

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
"i was wanting to drive a van for the freedom from logs and hos".

Driving a van would keep you from having to maintain a log book, but I'm really not sure how it would affect the situation with the ho's. They're everywhere anymore. Just don't pay them any attention and they'll probably go away.

I'm hilarious. - X