CDL Requirement

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Why is it that the expediting company's require a CDL if the truck you want to use doen't require it?

LrBcom

Expert Expediter
I believe it is a requirement because you might have to carry hazardous materials at one time or another.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I agree - it is because of Haz-Mat issues. There are a few expedite carriers who do not haul Haz-Mat and do not require CDL's.

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When you are running under thier (the company's) authoity and you are running USDOT#s then you are doing work for hire and it is considered commercial, so there for for need to have a CDL. The Insurance Companies say so!!! It's the law,---It is written in STONE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:7 :7 :7 or BLOOD?????:'( :'( :'(

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
I'm not so sure about the "law" aspect, the company I drive for now doesn't seem to see it that way, nor the police on the few occasions I've been stopped in the truck. But the insurance thing could be, as we are a self insured carrier. The haz-mat makes the most sense though.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HI JW,
I didn't mean Law as in Police law, or state law.. I meant law as is in insurance.

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
The one that REALLY BUGS ME!..? Is why is it they all want to check into your consumer credit? Just a bunch of old ladies wanting to snoop! Yeah thats right thats what it is!:p