CB radios

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is there a significant difference between a cheap($39) radio and a more expensive one, or is this just not a real good way to communicate? I don't use it that much, partially because I can hardly understand what people are saying. I have an external speaker that helps, but still about 50% of what I hear is garbled. Would a better antenna make a big difference? I often hear only one side of a conversation. I don't rely on the radio much, but it is handy when looking for directions or in a 55mph speed zone,but again, alot of times I cannot understand what people are saying. What brand or type of radio or antenna would any one reccomend? I wouldn't mind spending $100 or so if it would make a significant difference,I don't think I really want to spend much more than that but any input is welcome...thanks
Ken G

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I ahve always used $50-60 radios without any complaints.The antenna is where you need to spend the $ on.Then the antenna and radio need to be tuned to get what is the SWR Ratio (Standing wave ratio) as low as possible.This matches the antenna to the radio so you get the lowest possible loss between the antenna and radio.You can buy a SWR tuner from Radio Shack for about $20 or have it tuned at one of the CB places that are in truckstops..

KB8YWY

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There are some good radios out there for a good price. but do make sure you get a good antena and get the SWR right and make sure your antena has a good ground. One of the reasons that you can't understand the other person is the got all that junk runing like echo boxes and such I enjoy good clean audio not trash and have them check your mic devation, it should not be over 4%, and make sure it is on Freq. If you over deveate you will splater the side channels. I have run 500 watts in the ham band and not bothered any on more than 10kcs away from the freq. thatI was useing. All that other junk is not needed. Later

Allen KB8YWY