cargo van info

dince

Expert Expediter
Hi
I need some information about cargo van job openings. I do not have CDL, and I need to know if there is possibility to get a cargo van driving job without cdl and which companies are hiring. Please help.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
I can speak only for Express-1, but yes - a minimum of a chauffeurs endorsement (or) class C cdl - depending on what your state offers, is required to operate a cargo van for our company.

We are currently adding cargo vans to our fleet, but only in the owner/operator capacity. I tend to discourage anyone from bringing on a van and then hiring someone to drive it. When you start splitting the profit on a cargo van too many ways, nobody ends up satisfied.

I would be happy to discuss opportunities with anyone looking to operate their own cargo van. Best of Luck - Scott

dince

Expert Expediter
Thank you very much for your response. I am from Ohio and I was thinking about buying the cargo van but I was not sure if I needed CDL.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Dince;

Ohio law does not mandate a CDL to operate a one ton cargo van. Ohio has adopted the FMCSA regulations. You could legally operate a vehicle upto 26,000lbs. GVW here in Ohio without a CDL. NOW, the company that you want to drive for may have company policies that call for operators of any vehicle to posess a CDL. If the company you intend to drive for transports placardable amounts of hazardous materials then you would be required to have at least a CDL C with a hazmat endorsement. A CDL C is really not much more than an operator's (Class D) license with a hazmat endorsement. There is not too much required to obtain the CDL C. Study and take the tests.

A CDL B is required to operate commercial vehicles that have 3 axles or more, or that have a GVW in excess (greater than) 26,000 lbs. GVW.

Class A is required to operate vehicle combinations where the trailer's GVW is more than 10,000 lbs.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Questions on Premium Transportation Logistics???
Call 1-800-661-3166

samison4248

Expert Expediter
Scott you are right about splitting the fees. How far can $.70 goes when it takes at least $.30 per mile to operate your vehicle. Cheap freight companies are the companies to run from. A cargo van needs at least $.85 per mile with a $.15 fuel surcharge to make a living. Plus you have to take into account that you need a lot of loaded miles not deadhead miles to make it. Can Express-1 do that? Very questionable. Deadheading and sitting cost you the driver money and most of the companies out here don't care whether the driver can make it or not as there will always be another body and vehicle they can use.

C5BILL

Expert Expediter
I've got a 2004 Chevy Express 3500 extended sitting in my driveway. Take over the payments and you can be on your way. PS: I'm in Ohio also.

taciturn

Expert Expediter
Okay I'm going to go out on a limb here so I can get an idea of what driving someone elses van might get you. This is entirely hypothetical but I just wanna see if my assumptions are in the ballpark (I know what happens when you assume). Let's say that we are dealing with 1000 miles to make the math nice and easy, at $0.70 per mile (WHY is there no cents key on a computer keyboard?!). 40% of $700 goes to the owner and 60% goes to the driver. If the driver pays for fuel... we'll say 10mpg at $3 per gallon (worst case senerio here but the math is easy)... $300 for fuel. The driver would be left $120 after 18 hours of work at 55 miles per hour. And that would give almost $7 an hour. If these numbers are close I can see why you wouldn't want to drive someone elses cargo van. Please take this as a grain of salt I've probably just had too much time to think about it.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
And that almost $7 an hour is reduced by costs deadheading for the next load and time spent waiting for it .