Cargo van and Tri-State (maybe)...

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
I'm looking into driving for an o/o that has a cargo van leased with Tri-State and willing to pay 35% and I'll have only my personal expenses out of my pocket,no tolls,fuel etc...Can I make a decent living if I run and stay out 3-4 weeks?How bussy a cargo van is in expediting?Or should I stick with a D-unit (40% and no expenses)leased with Panther II? Thanks! :)

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
you should get 40% owner pays tolls and fuel or you get 60% and pay your own tolls and fuel.thats a general starting point,what ever ya agree on get it in writing. p.s i have a van on with panther and need a driver. cell 773 680 2525.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I have been an owner-operator leased to Tri-State for 5 years and I have never seen business as slow as it is now. This should be the heart of the busy season but I am doing under $600 a week. Tri-State has leased on a large number of new vans in the past couple of months even though business does not warrent it. Tri-State is not a bad company but for vans this isn't a good time to start with them.

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
Thanks guys.How's Panther II with D-units?Would I be able to make it if I run?Gotta have about $500/week to meet my ends and the van owner from Tri-State told me that I can do easy $500/week if I run and I'm not picky with the loads and by the way ,the D-unit wants to pay 34%,the van pays 40% for the first 3 mo. and then 45%.Now,I'm asking you guys/gals,can I or can I NOT do the $500/week?Thank you! :)

Marty

Veteran Expediter
To answer your question we need to know if when you say you to make $500 per week is that after income tax or before?. Also with the %40 you get paid in the van are you responsible for any expences?

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
40%-NO vehicle expenses only my food,etc...and I'd say before taxes.
Let me know what do you think?Thanks.:)

Marty

Veteran Expediter
As slow as it is this year you would be very lucky if you could average a gross income of $1,000 a week. At 40% you share would be $400 minus your road expenses. Also keep in mind that your income will vary a great deal from week to week as well as season to season. You might have 4 weeks in a row that you gross over $1,200 but at other times you might have 5 weeks in a row where you gross less than $500 a week. You must save during busy times to get you through lean times. You must also save to pay your taxes.
All things considered, if you need to make atleast $500 a week you should look at doing something else.