Canada Canada

Falconlady13

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We were considering returning to expediting but a dumb decision on my husband's part 38 years ago,he's not allowed into Canada.What do we need to do to correct this if possible.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Unfortunately you will need to get this problem resolved as most carriers require Canadian clearance as it is to big a market to miss out on. Try contacting potential carriers to see what there current rules are about this. Depending on what his violation was there maybe amnesty? Try calling Canadian Customs near where you live. They can walk you through the qualification process.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can also consider a carrier that does not go to Canada.At least 2 of them advertise on EO

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can apply for and receive a Canadian Pardon for past offenses. Rob A on the Canadian Forum can probably steer you in the right direction.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
I have talked to a couple of drivers who had a dui as far back as 30 yrs. ago, which from what I understand is a felony in Canada, but they were told that for 500.00 Canada would expunge their record.

Just makes me wonder what is more of a crime a DUI or Extortion.

Work Smart not Hard!!!
Fr8 Shaker

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This is one reason I agreed to Moderate the Canada forum.
First of all: yes DUI is a serious offense in Canada.
Secondly; when driving a commercial vehicle into Canada; you are on business and the guidelines for entry are stricter.
Thirdly:
Canada does NOT EXPUNGE a criminal record.
The 500.00 fee is a charge by a commercial firm who will help you to fill out forms to get permission to enter.
I have no idea whether they charge 500.00 or 50.00
A lawyer can do it too; likely for a lot more money.
That is not a Canadian Government fee; although they likely charge 50.00 or so.

If you did something stupid when you were young and the police were involved there is a record. I'm sure there are lots of us middle agers who were foolish once in our youth and regret it to this day.
Minor marijuana pocession; impaired driving; minor assault etc.

If you wish to discuss this at length; please post a message in the Canada Forum.

Isn't Driving Under the Influence a serious crime in the USA?
Especially for a commercial driver whose livelyhood depends on keeping a good driving record!

> I have talked to a couple of drivers who had a dui as far
>back as 30 yrs. ago, which from what I understand is a
>felony in Canada, but they were told that for 500.00 Canada
>would expunge their record.
>
>Just makes me wonder what is more of a crime a DUI or
>Extortion.
>
>
>
> Work Smart not Hard!!!
> Fr8 Shaker

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes DUI is a serious crime now, but 35 years ago it wasn't. We are judging people on todays standards for things that happened many years ago. We didn't even have CDL's until the mid 80's,all you needed was a chaufers license. There are some companies that do not require you to go into Canada.