Can I put this to work ?

Frenegade

Expert Expediter
Hello All,

Great forum, and lots of information to digest. I'll try to keep
this brief. I'm a former pilot for a major airline, out on long
term disability. It won't affect trucking, just flying.

I own a unique vehicle, which I'm sure many of you have seen in
your travels. It is a Renegade (brand) chassis is a Freightliner
Columbia, 25 feet of living area with a 10 foot garage/box as well
as basement storage. It was primarily designed as a motorcycle hauler, however, it has e track on the decks, and walls.

My question is, assuming I acquire proper licensing, and operating
authority.. could I put this to work ? I'm assuming, and prepared
that getting rich is not likely, but I'd like to work, and offset
some of the expenses of this beautiful new ride.

I've flown overnight cargo for Emery, UPS, and flown hundreds of
millions of miles, and understand deadlines, urgency, and safety.
I'd like to get moving. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Tim

[email protected]

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's a great looking rig and I'm sure the recruiters will provide detailed information for you. Thoughts that come to me are the load capacity of the unit and the loading height. With 10 feet of cargo space you would run as a C unit based on length. Generally I think that requires 5000 pound capacity. A couple of fairly big problems I think you are going to run into is lack of dolly legs and loading height. For a C unit you would have to be dock high and I doubt that unit is. You'd also need dolly legs and it looks too low for those. Without meeting those criteria I doubt carriers will accept the unit unless they did so as a van at van rates. That wouldn't be enough pay unless you chose to run mostly for the scenery etc. and minimally for the pay. Good luck to you and maybe you'll find the right carrier to make it work.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Frenegade

Expert Expediter
Thanks Leo,

A little additional information.. The unit has a 1600lb hydraulic
lift gate. unsure of total weight capacity, I'm sure it's axle
limited. As far as legs go, they aren't pretty, but it is equipped
with equalizer hydrualic leveling system. Sturdy enough to lift the
unit off the ground and keep it there..
Tim

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Frenegade -

LDB could not have explained it any better. Although your vehicle is a sweet ride, it's really not designed as an over the road expediter. I would recommend checking with some of your local delivery or cartage companies, they may have occasional loads that would be just what you are looking for - but I'm pretty sure that you couldn't get a "steady diet" of freight (make enough to offset your additional costs for insurance and satellite).
Best wishes and thanks for your participation on this site. If nobody asks the questions then nobody will get the answers!! - Scott

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I doubt any of the expediting companys could use this unit. In addition to the previous comments. The floor must be able to support a fork lift 20,000# plus. The support stands should be rated at 25,000#.
How about your overall length? Some states start to give you greif over 40`.

Having said all that,I would still contact the recrutiers.They many times work out exceptions.Especially in areas where demand is greater than the trucks that are avail.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I completely disagree with the overall answer you are getting here. Hold on all. They are right with they are telling you. This is all inside the box thinking. It sounds as though you just want to work and do not plan on an income that a straight truck would bring you? If this is correct then think outside of the box and look at folks outside of most on this site. They all stick with pretty much the same criteria for trucks, vans, tractors, Sprinters, etc. You have space to carry freight and your truck could be unloaded like a van or Sprinter if need be. I do not think you can count on your leveler system to hold a fork truck so do not even think about it.

Having said all that sell you and your truck. You can put a mailer together explaining what you have, what you can carry how far you will go etc. Mail this out to Cargo places and small companies that ship. Also take a nice pack of information in proposal form and send it to some consumer goods companies but get it in the hands of people in their Product development area. This would be folks like P&G, Colgate, Cookie companies and so on. They do what are called "SHIP TESTS". This is where they put one or two skids of product together and simply ship them X number of miles. Start at point A and end at Point A. They do this to look at how the product stands up under shipping. They also need to run things to different altitudes to determine what happnes. Ex Denver.

You can also simply contact any LTL company and tell them you will do long haul of one and two skids. Make them a good offer on price.

These are just some examples. You can also contact the makers of specialized Engines and other parts for Race cars and do part delivery for them to Race Tracks and garages as an expedited service. Tons of that little stuff running everyday.

Some of this requires your own authority. You can find someone that needs you and make a deal with them to help you, as part of your pay, obtain your authority.

Do not think in the standard Expediter box or you will not employ your truck. Good Luck

Raceman
OTR O/O