California loads

LB

Expert Expediter
Am considering getting into expediting and have been monitoring board for several months. I live in north central CA and have not seen any mention of work out of the CA area. How can I find out if it would be worth while driving out of CA; seems most of work is east of Mississippi? I would not have problem driving eastward however would like to get home ever couple weeks. Probably drive for O/O until I learn business?

This kind of trucking seems very appealing. I have a Class A with all endorsements. Have not driven commercially since Sept 2001 at which time I was activated due to 9/11 and have been on active duty since. Prior to activation I was driving dumps, straight trucks and mixers.

Thanks

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
LB,the wife and i drive for FECC and we have been out to the left coast about 7 times this year mostly to the bay area. it seems as if expediting is picking up in CA,beacause the first year and a half we worked for them we never got out there once. it's to be expected that you won't be getting home as often as someone in the midwest or the east. DD.

jg

Expert Expediter
If you are driving solo, you will have to assume that you will never get a load to the west coast. However, some companies (fedexcc??) might be able to keep you busy running up and down the west coast and the Nevada, Arizona, Colorado areas. Another thought is to just accept the fact that you won't get loads home, buy airline tickets when they are on sale, park your truck at the airport, and fly home and back. That works with a van, might be a problem with a D unit, certainly would be with an E unit. The above worked for me out of Detroit and Chicago airports to/from Florida.