Best price for XM Radio

NO NECK

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Want to get a satelite radio receiver, and I think I'm going with the Plug 'n Play so I can move it from the truck to the car, or the house. I can install it myself, just want to find the best price and as many acessories as I can get. (Antenae, AC adaptor, etc). Appreciate any help.

Happy Trails :+

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
No neck,

I talked to the XM rep at the ExpediteExpo th other day. Right now the truckstops have them for $299.00 That is for the adapter version. I seen the actual radios with XM built into them for about the same money. He also gave me a coupon for $50.00 off for attending the expo.

He also stated that they are coming out in the next month or so with a new truck antenna. This one looks more like a CB antenna. It can be clipped on your mirror bracket or on the Qualcomm bracket. He said the one of the Qualcomm bracket is better because there will be fewer problems with the "Line of site" aspect.

I plan on going to someplace like Curcit city or someplace to buy it. I like to give truckstops the least amount of my money I can. Might be a way to spend your Frequent fueler points (passport..etc whichever truckstop you frequent)

NO NECK

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanx for the tips Bill. I think I'll wait for the new antenna to come out, and maybe the next expo so I can get the $50 rebate. I'm all for saving a few bucks. The trouble with the truckstops is not just the price, but no one there can give you any info or technical help, just dumb looks. You'd think if they're going to sell a product someone should be able to explain it a little. Also you can't really look at what you're getting because they treat you like you're going to walk off with it as soon as they turn their back. Anyway, thanx again for the response, you've been a big help. Maybe we'll meet up with you on the road sometime.

Happy Trails,

No Neck :+

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
No neck,

It would be nice to meet you sometime. I can understand about dumb looks from people in truckstops (about the only thing you can get in one for free :+ }> )

Trouble is if you go to the big box stores (Curcuit city, Best buy [But worst service]) You get the same dumb looks...lol

That was why I was glad I met the guy at the expo. He really knew his stuff.

NO NECK

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Bill,

Would like to meet you sometime too. My name is Bill also. Seems Pilot is running a sale Sept. 1st - 30th. $299 with a $50 mail in rebate. Might take 'em up on it. We drive for Tristate, D unit #567. Watch for us and give us a shout.

No Neck & Book Keeper

(Bill & Joyce) :+

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I bought the Pioneer radio and XM tuner for my first truck, with the TEC antenna (same as used for cars). It works great. I bought the Sony plug & play unit for my 2nd truck. It includes an antenna and the the attachment which goes into the regular radio cassette deck. I just lay the antenna which came with the Sony on the dash of the truck and get great reception. You do not need the expensive "truck" antenna.

I bought both units at Circuit City in Westland, MI. They were good people to deal with.

I have had my units since about Thanksgiving time last year. I think most truckers listen to NASCAR (channel 144) and to Hank's Place (old time country, channel 13). Lots of truckers call in to these shows.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Mike,

I was wondering about that. If you buy 2 receivers, say for example one for your truck and one for your car, do you need a seperate account for both?

Playing with it at truckstops I have found I like Hanks place, Open road (The truckers channel),BBC and Fox news and the 1940's and 1950's channels. I haven't had an opportunity to listen to the bluegrass channel but I am sure I would love it. (I am rather diverse in my music...lol)

No Neck, I drive a Kenworth for FECC, truck# D3038

NO NECK

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wild Bill,

I think you might have to have a separate account for each receiver, unless they have a special plan for multiple radios. I suppose you'd have to talk to the people in accounting when you activate it. But I'm only guessing. You might have to take your chances on getting another "dumb look" at a truck stop when you ask that question. I would say the only person who could answer that would be the one on the phone you talk to when you activate it, or someone else who has 2 receivers.

Happy Trails

NO NECK

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was wondering if that antenna would work on the dash...now I know. Thanks for the tips, can't wait to get mine.

Happy Trails,

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
>Mike,
>
>I was wondering about that. If you buy 2 receivers, say for
>example one for your truck and one for your car, do you need
>a seperate account for both?
>
>Playing with it at truckstops I have found I like Hanks
>place, Open road (The truckers channel),BBC and Fox news and
>the 1940's and 1950's channels. I haven't had an opportunity
>to listen to the bluegrass channel but I am sure I would
>love it. (I am rather diverse in my music...lol)
>
>No Neck, I drive a Kenworth for FECC, truck# D3038

Hey Wild Bill,
Hubby and I have had our XM for about 3 weeks now and we love it. I think they're running some kind of a special right now for the second hook up. Check them out at xmradio.com.
We got ours at Circuit City in Omaha, good people there too. The flip side of that is the radio was so clear, we were then aware that the original speakers stunk! You guessed it, back for new speakers. I think we're good to go now. It's too bad that hubby and I both enjoy gadgets and new toys, neither one will tell the other no.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where ever you go, THERE YOU ARE!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You will pay the $9.95 per month for each receiver you use. XM Radio has a special where you can get a 2nd radio with no activation fee, and free service for 3 months for the 2nd unit.

The Sony plug & play unit can be moved from the truck to the car very easily (as long as you have a cassette player as part of the vehicle radio). Sony also has a home kit which can be used with the plug & play unit. It looks like you could use the home kit in your vehicle (if you have an inverter for the 110 plug). That way you would only pay the service for one unit, and you would only need to move the receiver between the two vehicles.

It is amazing how many truckers call in on the NASCAR channel, and the anger they express against some of the drivers. Also, I would hate to see their cell phone bills because of the time they are willing to wait on the line to get on the radio to express their opinion.

G

Hey No Neck, don't be in to big a hurry just got back from Dallas show. They were selling the portable units with the new ant. for $99.00 a set. Dont't know if it was just a show special or maybe a price change with newer and better units coming out.

ClassicOne

Expert Expediter
I opted for the SIRIUS setup and I love it. I also bought it at the GATS for $99 and it is portable. Lay the antenna on the dash, plug in the 12 volt power and turn on the irock FM mini transmitter and I'm on in any FM radio tuned in within 20'. I found that you can plug the little cassette adapter that came with your cd walkman and get superior sound and volume compared to the irock.
BTW the classic rock mix is so good I'm putting all of my tapes and cassettes back in the home 20!!! never have to fumble with'em again! The unit is a Jensen with remote function pad and it all was bagged up in a nifty computer like case.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I had thought about sirius but One of the channels I wanted was the "Open road" channel. The one that has the Truckin Bozo, Bill Mac and Dave Nemo.

Only thing Sirius has is the "Midnight cowboy channel" and I would (My own opnion) prefer to have an ice pick plunged into my ear for several hours than to listen to Eric Harley.

However Sirius has a channel of old time radio shows that would be awesome. Too bad their isn't a way to pick from both and create your own customized station.

Booker

Expert Expediter
We purchased an XM radio from Circuit City in November and we love it. We have had to replace the antenna once and the tuner once and both were under warranty. XM radio does have an old time radio station at channel 164. We highly recommend it. It is a good companion to have on those long night drives.

NO NECK

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
$99...WOW!! Just saw one at circuit city for $199 and almost bought it, but I think I'll wait for the $99 one. Thanx for the tip!

Happy Trails

skooch

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My wife and I drive for Panther II we bought our XM at the Ky.t/s
our unit is the Delphi and works really well. The antenna system is
unique in that it mounts to the rear of the cab beside the qualcom
unit. We purchased a sony plug and play for home and a very satisfied
with that unit also. We ran it through our surround sound and it is
Kick A. We recently shopped for a craddle for our car for the p+p
we found the basic unit has gone down to 150.00. This is a good price,
I talked to the salesman at chrome pro in dallas tx the other day and
he said the plug+play was down to 120.00 at the dallas show. Ther may
be a problem getting a kit to hard wire into your truck or car right
now but this will shortly go away. Xm radio is the very best investment u can make in entertainment for yourself in a truck. We
listen whenever the truck is running. Good luck if u listen to
country u'll hear us with the djs:)