Baseball

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Since I have time on my hands these days I thought I would post something a little different.
The other day Mr Barry Bonds signed a 5 year contract with the San Francisco Giants for $90 Million dollars. Fueled by some Coors Light I did some math last night.His contract works out to $18 Million per year. Since there are 162 games in a regular season he gets $111,111.00 per game.If he come to bat 4 times which is the average he will be paid $27,777.00 per at bat.He has a maximun of 648 at bats in a season(4 average per game).If his batting average is 300 he will succeed in getting a hit 194 times.So the Giants are paying $92.783.00 for each time he gets a hit.Not too shabby.If each paying fan spends $25.00 it would take over 5000 fans just to pay his 1 game salary. Now remember 81 games are in a away city where the Giants cut of the gate is less so at home it probably takes about 7500 paying customers at each game to pay his salary.
Now since the Giants did not sign Mr Bonds to hit singles but to drive runs in,as he is a power hitter.If he has a decent year and has 100 RBI!S the Giants are paying him $180.000.00 for each run he drives in.Now he is 36 years old and will he be able to drive in 100 runs when he is 39-40.Probably not,so if he manages to get 60 RBI!S the Giants will be paying him $300.000.00 for each run batted in.
A year or so ago he went through a nasty divorce and papers filed by the ex wife indicated they spent over $900.000.00 each month.
Absolutely blows your mind and they wonder why professional sports is in trouble.
Yesterday I met Mark Brunell and Tony Boselli of the Jacksonville Jaguars at a bank ATM.Real nice guys,joked around a little bit,you would never know they were millionaires, but B.Bonds has a reputation of a miserable SOB.So boycott the baseball Giants..LOL

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think "ALL" professional sports players are over paid. They are just digging there own grave as people are tired of the millionaire whiners. I used to watch baseball a while ago but after there went on strike, never watched them again. Football is turning the same way. Gave up on them a couple years ago. I won't pay the money to go to a game. Cost way to much. Just can not see anyone getting paid more than a million a year. I don't care how talented they are. My 2 cents.
Randy :)