Attention: Recruiters,Owners, and Drivers

Rocket

Expert Expediter
Wondering if any of you folks can help me out...point me in the right direction?
I am an experienced Tractor Trailer driver from Northern Indiana.
Have over 10 years experience in the last 15 years.
Was driving up until April of 2001 when I received a dui off duty in my own personal vehicle.
Of course this puts an immediate halt to the driving career.
CDL was reinstated back in July of that year but could not find a company that would hire me....due to insurance reasons.
After hearing this dozens of times,I gave up altogether searching for another driving career.
I had to make a career change and it was rough.
I finally settled in the Mortgage Business and have been for the past 3.5 yrs.
I'm getting the itch again to drive,maybe cargo van,staight truck, or tractor trailer.
Haven't decided yet.
Would possibly be interested in becoming an Owner Operator
if I could get the financing and the terms were acceptable.

Challenges:

DUI 3.5 yrs ago
Canadian Border crossing priveleges
(Something about Canada requiring a "rehabilitation" permission to enter Canada)
No driving experience in those 3.5 yrs

Questions:

What companies would hire me as a driver or contractor under these challenges?

Is there anything I can do to help myself?

ANY ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Rocket,

I can say for most carriers - the DUI will be an issue. Best of luck.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Rocket - I sent you a long reply via e-mail but your mail service would not accept it. To make a long story short, I must follow the rules set forth by our insurance company. The rule that I must adhere to is... Just like diamonds, a DUI is forever. I wish I could help but I am just not able to. Some rules are unbendable. You may want to look into the qualifications for smaller, local type companies in your area, they may be able to help. Best of luck - X

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
It's probably the insurance companies that make the restriction , not the carrier . The one thing you have to be wary of is a carrier that would hire you would probably be one that is desperate for help because they have a bad reputation for holding back payments , etc . One thing you might consider . You know there are a lot of RV transporters in your area . There's a real shortage of contractors there . The better carriers require newer trucks , more equipment ( fith wheels and gooseneck hitches , etc . ) , Canadian crossings and spotless driving records . However , I have seen older regular cab 3/4 gas pickups pulling loads for some carriers with just a regular hitch . Most of them probably just make trips under 600 miles . I don't want to mention the companies names that use these truck but you might see them at fuel stops or check the yellow pages or do a web search for RV transporters in the Elkhart and Bristol areas . Good luck and keep in touch .