Another question from Newbie Gilligan

Gilligan

Seasoned Expediter
I appreciate all the information on buy vans and/or driving for fleet owner versus ower operator-Thank You:). It seems some think driving your own vehicle is better way to go. Still not sure on that right now. Driving for fleet owner gives you a chance to get used to the business. But owner operator gives you much more freedom.

I have 2 questions to pose today. The first is I am checking out a fleet operator out of Indiana, whose vehicles drive for C & M Expediting. This fleet owner has cube vans in his stable. They pay a little more and and can take cargo van loads and bigger. Gas mileage some similar to cargo vans I am told. So, what are some pro's and cons on cube vans?

Second question: I am single and own a home. I would much like to keep my home. And I realize that not every week is a smashing week in the expediting business. Is there others out there in this situation? One fleet owner, talking to me from his home, said that he thought this would be impossible. He also said none of his drivers owned homes-they lived with family or friends or in their vans. This sounds very unworth for all the effort to get into this business.
Well, again I thank you all for your input. Drive safe and I wish good weeks to all.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I appreciate all the information on buy vans and/or driving for fleet owner versus ower operator-Thank You:). It seems some think driving your own vehicle is better way to go. Still not sure on that right now. Driving for fleet owner gives you a chance to get used to the business. But owner operator gives you much more freedom.

I have 2 questions to pose today. The first is I am checking out a fleet operator out of Indiana, whose vehicles drive for C & M Expediting. This fleet owner has cube vans in his stable. They pay a little more and and can take cargo van loads and bigger. Gas mileage some similar to cargo vans I am told. So, what are some pro's and cons on cube vans?

Second question: I am single and own a home. I would much like to keep my home. And I realize that not every week is a smashing week in the expediting business. Is there others out there in this situation? One fleet owner, talking to me from his home, said that he thought this would be impossible. He also said none of his drivers owned homes-they lived with family or friends or in their vans. This sounds very unworth for all the effort to get into this business.
Well, again I thank you all for your input. Drive safe and I wish good weeks to all.

If cube vans can take bigger loads than vans they must be over 10,000 lbs. GVWR and would require logging . If you're going for heavier loads than a cargo van and have to log the logical step is to go to a C or D unit and have much more available freight .
I'd stay away from someone that said none of his drivers could afford homes . It should be noted though that a very large percentage of expediters are husband wife teams with 2 incomes toward the household . Many are also older with homes paid for or smaller mortgage notes on homes bought at 1970's or 80's prices . Many are also retired with pensions to supplement their income .
What freedom would owning your own truck give you ? With current levels of freight you can't be very selective . Having a truck payment eliminates freedom . Many know what Janis Joplin meant when she sang "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose . "

Gilligan

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you for your well thought out response. All good points to consider. I was somewhat aware of the types of drivers out in expediting currently. Makes it hard for a regular guy to get into it. More I research the more it seems to me not such a good idea to get into cargo van expediting. Thank you for your posting.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Not all cube vans are over the 10,000 limit needed to log.
C & M is a great little company to work for.

Don't plan on getting more than 13-14 MPG with a cube van.

Get the owners other drivers phone numbers and talk to them.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Are the cubes single or dually rear? The duallies get around 10-12 if your lucky, I guess some of it depends on box height and how big of a wall you are pushing. The ones I drove had a 6'3" height from floor to top of door opening, The company I worked for had the 5.4 litre Ford E350 cubes and 10 was about average for city, highway mix
Cargo vans definately get better mileage, less wind resistance. That is what really kills your highway mileage