Amber Alert

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It appears you used to have an Amber Alert sytem in place on the site but it was removed. I saw someone saying they did not like or had issues with the ticker style that you had so I was wondering if it could just be a forum on it's own or better yet something we could sign up for that would email or text us when something comes up. I would have to say 99% if not more have cell phones to receive texts and I see a lot with smart phones so we have immediate access to email as well, I was signed up through their site but you can only use 5 zip codes which just doesn't work for us.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Wow, it's been years since we had an Amber Alert. We really didn't want to remove it but if I recall - their servers couldn't handle the demand of their growing network and caused pages to load slow.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Wow, it's been years since we had an Amber Alert. We really didn't want to remove it but if I recall - their servers couldn't handle the demand of their growing network and caused pages to load slow.

Well I am sitting here in the 100+ degree heat of Laredo it seemed like a good idea to me so I searched the forums to see if it was brought up before and to make sure the heat wasn't frying my brain. I found a post from 2005 that a member said they were having an issue with it slowing things down, that's why I was thinking if they had their own forum instead of a constant stream but I thought it might end up getting over crowded and become a burden for you so the text message or email idea may work better. I am just guessing but I believe they only allow 5 zip codes to be registered so it isn't a burden on their systems but I was thinking if they had another entity come in like EO and have access to all zip codes where you could just kick out a text message or email to those in the driving industry it may be easier. When it comes to things like this as far as how it would impact EO and your servers my knowledge is limited but it was just something I had thought about.

rooster21

Seasoned Expediter
I think this is great idea to bring up the Amber Alert...

There is a lot of conspiracy behind some of these disappearing children/young pepole. They are noted for showing up in human trafficking or found dead in Mexico.

This problem is a growing problem...