after reading the bus/truck article

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Really an interesting concept! Years ago I read an article about trucks of the future. The emphasis was on driver comfort, and they had some really outrageous designs for tractors. After readng the EO article, I was thinking, wouldn´t it be great if, instead of hauling passengers, you had the passenger space converted to a motor home. Then you could really team it/or single, coast to coast, or anywhere in real comfort. I´d buy one tommorrow. An expediters dream. But not at $450,000. WOW! Imagine your truck payment!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
We are trying to get this unit to our Expedite Expo in Woodhaven, MI this August. We'll keep you up to date.

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
MY GOD! I can just see Maw and Paw Kettle cutting up their big RV now to make a few bucks while puttering around at 40 MPH. I don't think they will make too many deliveries on time. "No time to walk Rover and flush the tanks out tonight Maw! Ford needs their tranny parts!"
-Weave-
OK, after reading the article, I can think of about 100 reasons why that thing poses no threat to the trucking industry, but it is interesting. Here's a good one- how many of you recall Norfolk Southern railway's "Trailer-Trains?" The freight-bus is sort of a concept like that. Clever, but won't work. It's already nearly 5 feet too long to be used as a single unit interstate freight hauler in most US states just for starters.
:*

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Heck Weave, Ma and Pa Kettle have already retired and decided to make a few bucks delievering freight. They are called "C" units :p :+

I mean you have a 30 foot truck with bedroom, kitchen, living room with fish pond and waterfall...lol They decide to be frugal and make a few bucks so instead of the above ground swimming pool and hot tub on the back they just add a 10 foot box so they can haul "B" freight for FedEx! lmao!!! So why not a 2 story expediter }>

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thats right,nothing like hauling B freight in a $275,000 C unit with Gold stripes all over it.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After reading the article and looking at the demensions, looks to be illegal in size. The minute they put a box on it, it should be concidered a truck like the rest of the D units and have the 40 foot length max requirement. If they can get away with it, Then regular D units should be allowed beyond the 40 foot rule.
Randy:)

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Randy,

It has multiple drive axles, that is how they can get away with the excessive length. Still would be a bear to turn with in Brooklyn!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Can you see this thing pulling up to a dock to unload. Better yet as the driver of this TRUC/BUS telling the passengers "we have a five hour delay wiating to unload".

The bus lines will be bringing alot of freight to their bus/20 and calling Fed-ex to deliver the last leg. 50 mile loads, not many dead head miles to worry about.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I did some calculations while really bored about a month ago on the imfamous "Deuce Coupe Volvo." The truck has to be a corporate sponsored demonstration vehicle. For a ten year projected lifespan of a class 8 truck, it will never turn an ounce of profit, period. It can't. Everything I came up with, even in absolute best case perfect scenarios, have it loosing about $250.00 a day when running its wheels off 24 hours a day just existing on Earth looking pretty.
-Weave-

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No, it's yellow with purple flames. The flames make it go faster, that's a fact. (Ok, we're just jealous we don't have a $250k+ pimp-house on wheels!:7) Can they get a second mortgage or take out a home improvement loan on that POJ Volvo?
-Weave-