ADVISE!!!

jwalher

Seasoned Expediter
Here is my situation, i hope i can get some advises.
At this point i run 10 trucks i own 5 and 5 owner operators all tractor trailers (53v and 53r). we've been working as a OTR carrier and sinse the fuel started to go up and rates stayed the same i started to look a different options. i found that expedited pays more than regular freight but you get to sit a lot. my drivers love working with me because the pull over 3000 miles a week and still get home every weekend. recently i've been pulling freight for panter ii and they pay good, but my drivers make money by the mile and this are ussually short rums. I also have GPS but most of the freight poste is for straight trucks not for tractors. I got set up with fedex and they pay great, they send me email but since i'm still a small fleet i can never click with the loads that they offer me. So today i talked to fedex and they told me that i could lease my trucks to them and still use my autority for backhauls.
they offered me 58% of the load plus 19% for fuel.
the only expense would be qualcom and workers compesation wich is 1.8 % of gross. The thing is that if i want to use my authority the would charge me 50.00 a day to use the trailer.
another thing is that to keep my authority i have to keep the insurance wich is $9000.00 a year per truck.
Please give me some feedback.
thanks
HOOAH
HOOAH

markafd

Expert Expediter
jwalher, if all your trucks are teams they may be happy at fedex if they are solo my experience is they will sit at times and 3000 miles will be hard for a solo to get. the 58% is correct and fsc is correct if the customer pays it as all do not but has been better as of late. Maybe you could try a fsc on your own and run as usuall I personally don't think its great anywhere right now with fuel prices where they are. I was tempted to move my trucks to panther until i was told 1.20 mile plus fsc, and then found out if your fleet is 6 or more you get 1.35 mile (not to fair if you ask me) I stayed at fedex to the best of my knowledge everyone is on the same field with a few exceptions out there im sure. hope this helps.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Tractors are $1.50/mile with Panther + FSC + All miles Paid. On the note if you have more trucks you get paid more - yes you can get a higher rate but you pay a greater share of qc, tripak, insurance, etc. With panther you can use thier authority to run back-hauls if your in a non-service area and get 85% of rate.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

have you tried being an ltl carrier?
I would put the drivers on a percentage of each load run less miles.

and even the straight truck rates on gps are better than most truckload rates off getloaded. Do you have DAT connect,getloaded.com and truckstop? I do and I find if I put my rate in the comment sections then I dont get as many garbage calls and advertise expedited service.I usally only get one or two calls a day on each truck I have posted but they are paying my rate.

besides gps are set up direct with Active areo?

here is a good one also http://www.artisan-associates.com/cardev.html
they to have projects that consist of multi shippments that you can bid on.

you asked for advise well my advise is you already came this far do not lease on to any one expediter exclusive.you can do better than that.

what do you mean you get emails from fedex but cant get the loads?

with 10 trucks you should also be set up with NLM www.nlmi.com
you can get more info under the carrier section of this page.

keep on trucking and make sure you get a fsc.

that should keep you busy for a few days if you need more info IM me if you send me a rate sheet I will send you a list of customers who pay them rates and better.

jwalher

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you for your imput.
Another reason i was considering leasing my trucks to other carrier is because i have a driver which doesnt have 2 years experience and my insurance company does not want him. and shopping arround i can't find a company who takes him. he is a great driver a dont whant to let him go... he is great.
so here is what i was thinking... if i lease this truck i can get 61% plus fuel... i will tell fedex i will use my own trailer.. but I also pull SCHNEIDER trales. they have a program where you get on one o their loads and when you deliver you can either get on another load or rent the trailer for $15.00 a day.. so i was thinking i could combine this two things.
also i think you are right... i need to consider LTL...
I do have truck stop and getloaded. Also schneider, werner and landstar have freight boards but they are too cheap.
the big problem i'm facing is not to have anybody on sales and we have to depend on brokers to load our trucks.
thank you again
HOOAH

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Curious aboutsomething,you indicated Fedex will give you loads,What divison of Fedex is doing this Fedex freight or Custom Critical or Fedex Express.

jwalher

Seasoned Expediter
FEDEX Custon Critical. They broker freight out also.
The problem i have is that being small with only 10 trucks is very hard to click with the loads the email me.
for example whe i have a truck in atlanta the will send me 10 loads out MD and whe i have a truck in MD I have hard time to get out and fedex offer me loads out chicago.
take care
HOOAH

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

As far as the insurance have you checked with progressive?I think they insure drivers with less than2 years.I have one driver with less than 1 year and they insured him but he is in a d-unit that may be the different.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I know you think you are small but your bigger than the average fleet in the usa.and do you try to market yourself on gps or just bid on posted orders? and $15 a day for a trailer is not bad.does fed-ex pay you more if you have your own trailer?

maybe I have no idea but I would think with a tractor you should be getting about 20k per month each before cost.are you in that ballpark?

and expedite loads should be around $3 per mile.
ltl is a little better I would think.
I know I load 2 ltls on a 24' straight and get $2 so you should be able to find 4 ltl on a 53' and get around $4 but the only thing I have a problem with is getting a fsc on ltls maybe thats just me I dont know.

good luck with what ever you decide but as for me Ive done it both ways and know I will never go back to being a leased contractor to many politics for me. like you said your getting 3000 miles now but ask these members here how many of them get that kinda miles being single.But I also know that it aint the miles its how much you get for those miles.

keep on trucking

jwalher

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you for your imput KW. I had not checked the forum for days bcause i just had my first baby on monday and i've been very busy with that. As far as the insurance, progressive will take this guy but
it has to be within 300 mile radius. and that doesnt work for me.
I have not looked into LTL yet. But will consider it. and you are right is not how many miles you drive... it is how much you get paid for those miles. i'm not close to 20k a month by truck. i'm doing about 18k and i also have hard time getting fsc,,, the reason is becouse i deal with broker and many of them pay a flat rate.
good luck..
HOOAH