AC

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
What happened to expediters using an AC unit running off a generator? As I recall, they were slim towers, and I think you have to elevate them for drainage and vent them out the window. I don't know what those models of AC are called so I'm having trouble finding them.

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
Ok, so imagine I can get one installed, say a roof top. What kind of electrical set up will I need? I know it has something to do with deep cycle batteries, maybe 2 or 3. But I don't know the difference between serial or parallel. I know the terms, but that's it. Somehow, they're hooked to the alternator to charge them, and I guess there has to be a gauge to show the charge level, and somehow an outlet for plugging in the fridge and microwave. As was said on Seinfeld, "You know, the holes." And the cables leading to the rooftop AC itself.

Is there some tutorial on this? The owner might put in the AC, but I bet I'll have to spring for some of it.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
You will not run ac off of the battery bank period. You will NEED a generator. depending on the size of the ac you will need at least a 2800 watt generator.
Battery banks are good for espar heaters and some cooking with inverters.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
A fridge should be able to run off of 2 to 4 deep cycle batteries but you will get longer life and more run time off of 6 volt golf cart batteries wired up as one big 12 volt battery.