A wild thought on RV Drivers

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
AARP shot down the idea that RV's should have a cdl to drive with. What is your thoughts on this? Mine are, all RV's should have their own RV license! Including a health card, that is dated for every six months. Their test should include the basics of a semi truck knowledge. And, some very simple basic questions added as well. Like, Do you leave a note on the dashboard to remind yourself that you have a car trailer attached? Do you turn off the LP before drivin the popup? When the sign says curve head slow down to 35 mph, do you speed up to 65 and wonder why you could not make that curve? In constuction zones, speed is posted do you drive in the same lanes as the trucks or do you need to race ahead and be first one? Your exit is coming up and there is a truck ahead of you, do you speed up and pass the truck to get off the exit or do you pass the truck up and then slow down because you passed your exit and it was the truckers fault? All RV should be subject to log books and checks at the weight scales, including a level 1 inspection. If this was to happen, DOT would be to busy to check on us!! :p

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Christyrose!;-)
I am with you 100% on this one. Some of the RV's are now being made out of big trucks and have air brakes. Why is it that the driver of the RV that doesn't have to have an air brake endorsment? Another thing that needs to be inforced while driving an RV down the road are the distractions. One evening while I was driving past an RV, the driver was playing cards with his passengers.

FYI: Just in the Buckeye alone, of all the accidents on the turn pike in 1999 38% involved an RV, and of that 38% - 18% of the RV's were the cause of the accident, and of that 38% - 11% were pulling a car or a trailer. This info is from the OSP, and the OTPC.

It is becoming more and more unsafe driving out on the big road, and WE drivers all need to unite, and help one another as much as possible.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have seen so many accidents that an RV has caused. Most RV's on the road are built extremely flimsy. Most explode on impact.

One of the reasons I had stated a health card, like ours, is most RV'rs are over the age 60 and could be taking some very heavy medication that could effect eyesight, and possible judgement.

I also stated about DOT inspections. I have seen so many of them that had looked seriously overweight.

I truly think, if all professional drivers stuck together, we might just be able to make some serious changes that would protect ALL drivers.

On the lighter side of this problem, we did see one RV with signs posted on all the windows: NEW Driver BEWARE!. :p

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
They should make them get a class B license if over 26000 lbs. If it has air brakes then make them get the endorsment. Don't think you will get the physical every 6 months but at least 2 years like the rest. Not sure about this but I think Missouri makes RV's scale too. Thought I saw a sign indicating this a couple years ago while on I35. I haven't had any real problem with them except going to slow. We probably won't see any change in the law, They will screem age discrimination or some crap like that. Just deal with it and hope they don't take you out when they bite the dust on the road.
Safe driving
Randy:)