6.8L V10 Engine/E350 Engines

Camper

Not a Member
I'm looking into adding an E350 to my fleet and am considering the 6.8L V10 as opposed to the standard 5.4L V8 that comes with the base E350.

If anyone happens to have any first hand knowledge of this particular engine or any of the other new E350 engines, I'd appreciate any perspective/insight.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Why would you want to give the petroleum industry more money? Unless your towing alot stick with the V8

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Well I have worked on them. They get from 10mpg under load all the way up to 15 mpg. You will never get 15 under a load unless your going DOWN fourth of July pass.:rolleyes:

Camper

Not a Member
Well I have worked on them. They get from 10mpg under load all the way up to 15 mpg. You will never get 15 under a load unless your going DOWN fourth of July pass.:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's about what I figured the mileage would be on that which isn't much less than I see the 5.4L getting, powering an extended wheelbase.

I'm more curious about the reliability since this is an engine I'm not too familiar with.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
If it is for a cargo van, I would say no need. I had a V-10 in an E450 that was set up as a cube van. 60mph granted us about 11.5 mpg. At 70, it was more like 9.5mpg. It is lighter that the powerstroke, but has almost as much torque. That cube had a GVW of 14050, and could clear over 5000 lbs of freight.

Camper

Not a Member
Wow, some straight trucks get more than that.

Hence my dilemma. I wish the 7.3L diesel was available in the E350 but instead my choices are limited to the 6.8L or the 5.4L which seems a bit on the small side for something powering an extended wheelbase.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hence my dilemma. I wish the 7.3L diesel was available in the E350 but instead my choices are limited to the 6.8L or the 5.4L which seems a bit on the small side for something powering an extended wheelbase.

Are you pulling a trailer? The 4.8 Chev has almost 300hp. Plenty of oomph in an extended van.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well,according to Ford's Commercial Website, the only two engines available for the E350 are the 5.4L and the 6.8L. Is there a way to special order one with a powerstroke?

Ford stopped offering the diesel engine in 2010 models, I believe. Somewhere about then anyways. If you want new, you're out of luck for a diesel, unless you go with GM. Plenty of used ones around though.

Camper

Not a Member
Are you pulling a trailer? The 4.8 Chev has almost 300hp. Plenty of oomph in an extended van.

No, this will be an addition to my fleet. I want to stick with Ford and the above-mentioned engines are my only two choices.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
unless your towing a big heavy trailer, stick with the 5.4
diesels are not a good choice at Ford right now