330 hp CAT 3126

G

I have been seeing Cat 3126 engines in a 330 hp configuration, but the torque seems to be only slightly higher than the 250, 275 and 300 hp models. If I replace my 250 hp 3126 I would naturally like to go with more hp (assuming the transmission will allow it), but the 330 hp model doesn't seem to be widely used, which seems odd (I would think the more powerful models would be more popular). Anyone know what the story is on the 330 hp setup? Does anyone have one? What equipment is different on it from the 250-300 hp models? Where is the extra hp coming from--larger cylinders or other equipment? A different chip maybe? I wonder what the difference in mileage is between the 250 hp 3126 and the larger hp models running in the same truck with the same transmission and rear end.

Thanks.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I can't speak for Cat but Cummins wrings more power out of their C 8.3 engine by using larger injectors and boosting up the fuel pump pressure. The 300+ HP usually is reserved for fire engines etc.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know what the difference in mpg would be but the 330 should keep you rolling in the mountains better. I'm told it's torque that gets you moving and hp that keeps you rolling so it should be less burdened on the hills.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Drluvv

Expert Expediter
I agree with Rich, the Cummins engine is a better power plant over the CAT, from hp, reliability, and resale value.

plumcrazy8

Expert Expediter
Appreciably higher torque figures are usually only realized when displacement is increased, especially in this day and age of electronic rather than mechanical fuel injection. A 330 hp 3126 cat (I think they are 7.4 litre) won't hold a candle to a 335 hp C-10 (10.0 litre) cat - I've had them both. As they say in the racing world, nothing makes power like cubic inches, or litres in this case. And the larger displacement diesels will run all day long at 1200 to 1400 rpm's, something the 3126 will not do, extending engine life. MY 2 cents.