3126 running hot

gingerbreadman

Expert Expediter
this is a reply to busco. tried reply but did not work.anyway i replaced the radiator and temp went back to running between 180- 190degrees.freightliner was no help big suprise. also my fuel mileage went to about 6-7 miles per gal.my check engine lite was coming on frt liner told me it was normal so do not listen to them.I would get ahold of cat to see if they offer any solutions.:) :)

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have 1997 Frtlnr with 6 speed and 3126. Even at under 26,000 pounds it also tends to run hot. There are probably others that have that same problem.

About that check engine light of yours that comes on. I just had the same problem and had horrible experience at Freightliner dealers in Monroe, MI; Toledo, OH and Youngstown, OH. I limped back to Detroit and went to the CAT dealer in Novi. I wasted 2 days at the Freightliner dealers and about $1,000. I have been to 6 Freightliner dealers in the past 2 years and can say that I thought I was treated right only by the one in St. Louis, MO.

The problem with my truck was the computer, which was replaced 3 months ago and the check engine light has stayed off. The CAT dealer was expensive, and it took a few days, but they did the job right.

I wanted to ask you about the conversion of the FL70 to the RV camper and gooseneck. Did you buy it that way or did you have the conversion done? I am interested in seeing what that would cost.

Thanks, Larry

busco

Expert Expediter
I actualy done the conversion myself. I went to supreme corp. in goshen In. and ordered a 14 ft frp box with no rear door and a side rv door and went from there. They also cut the opening thru into the cab of the truck. The gooseneck hitch I actually welded onto the end of the frame rails fabricated from 1 1/4" steel plate. But I already had my trailer and did not want to purchase a new one at this time.
It tows pretty nice.
Wayne

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
Did that happen to be the Great Lakes Western Star and Freightliner in Monroe at the Dixie Hwy exit off I-75? I'm having trouble with them and don't know how to handle it.

Thanks,

Barb

I have 1997 Frtlnr with 6 speed and 3126. Even at under 26,000 pounds it also tends to run hot. There are probably others that have that same problem.

About that check engine light of yours that comes on. I just had the same problem and had horrible experience at Freightliner dealers in Monroe, MI; Toledo, OH and Youngstown, OH. I limped back to Detroit and went to the CAT dealer in Novi. I wasted 2 days at the Freightliner dealers and about $1,000. I have been to 6 Freightliner dealers in the past 2 years and can say that I thought I was treated right only by the one in St. Louis, MO.

The problem with my truck was the computer, which was replaced 3 months ago and the check engine light has stayed off. The CAT dealer was expensive, and it took a few days, but they did the job right.

I wanted to ask you about the conversion of the FL70 to the RV camper and gooseneck. Did you buy it that way or did you have the conversion done? I am interested in seeing what that would cost.

Thanks, Larry

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Nah, but while we've already bumped the topic, the 3126 has always been prone to overheating. However, the trick to dealing with an engine problem is to take it to the engine maker, not the truck dealer.

Reactions: 1 person