3126 Cat Question

GaTrucker05

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
I got a 2001 Cat 3126 and the other morning when I started it up the intake heater light came on followed by the check engine light,they both went out a few minutes later.What can cause this and is it something to worry about.Thanks in advance.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I got a 2001 Cat 3126 and the other morning when I started it up the intake heater light came on followed by the check engine light,they both went out a few minutes later.What can cause this and is it something to worry about.Thanks in advance.

Look up a user on here called Bob wolf, he's a wealth of info, what was the outside temp when you started your truck? How long was the lights on for? Most likely no problems I have had the same thing occur in the past usually happened when the temp dropped the first couple times.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Deville

Not a Member
was it the red engine light or the yellow engine light?

The grid heaterlight can stay on as long as 10 minutes when it's very cold out until the motor reaches 75*

You most likely already know that when it's that cold out & the grid heater is on the motor will also raise the idle on it's own to about 950 rpm, between that & the grid heater it allows the motor to warm up more quickly. But that will not happen until apxomitly 2 minutes into the inital start cycle. You can stop the motor from doing hat by hitting either brake.

How was the truck running while the engine light was on? Where you able to give give it gas & rev- the engine, or did pressing the accelorator down do nothing?

Last edited:

GaTrucker05

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
It was cooler than it had been I just never saw it before,it was the yellow engine lite.I don'nt know if it would take throttle or not I didn't try.I just let it idle maybe it was just the cold weather.Thanks for the replys.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I've had mine do that in cold weather. The intake heater light has even cycled a couple of times in really cold weather. It does throw a yellow check engine light when it does this. I experienced no problems when engine was doing this.