2nd class citizen

bigonion

Rookie Expediter
let me start by saying that i'm a contract vehicle driver in wg. i've been with fxcc for about 5 years. i'm not looking to go to another carrier. i'm with a really great fleet owner that services other carriers, so i could easily swap if i wanted to, but i dont.
we all know that lately, there have been a significant number of owners who migrated over to Landstar. So, as a result, the referral fee was temporarily bumped up to $2500 if you referred a o/o team.
it just so happened that i did just that recently. a husband/wife team had been with the cat and werent happy. i put them in touch with contractor sourcing and they took the purple promise. the recruiter was very happy and took all my info so i could get the fee.
except that.....the very next day, in the weekly bulletin email, there was a clarification that only owners were eligible to get the fee. my phone rang a short time later, with a very apologetic recruiter telling me the same thing. to his credit, he tried to do an end run around this rule to get me paid, but it never happened.
i'm sure there's some corporate by-law somewhere justifying this, but ya know, it sure left a bitter taste in my mouth.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
In fairness, they don't ever pay 'you'. They pay who they are contracted with: the fleet owner.

Are you saying that they are not going to pay at all, or simply pay the fleet owner? If it's the latter, and the fleet owner is as stand-up as you say, they'd be wrong, IMHO, to not pass that bonus along to you. Something I think Leo calls "people pay".

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
In fairness, they don't ever pay 'you'. They pay who they are contracted with: the fleet owner.

Are you saying that they are not going to pay at all, or simply pay the fleet owner? If it's the latter, and the fleet owner is as stand-up as you say, they'd be wrong, IMHO, to not pass that bonus along to you. Something I think Leo calls "people pay".

Agreed. If you did that and were in my fleet I'd let u use me to make the reference and pass the money on to you. I did notice the clarification and found it an odd note but nothing these guys do surprise me anymore.

Deville

Not a Member
Calling yourself a second class citizen is over stating what you really are. As a contracted driver to a contractor you are more like a third or fourth class citizen. Not trying to be mean but that's just the way it is.

bigonion

Rookie Expediter
when i last spoke to the folks i referred, they told me that their recruiter was going to try to get my fleet owner paid and have the $$ passed on to me that way. so far, i havent heard anything from either the recruiter or my fleet management. i'm going to wait til i'm back in service from the holidays and make some discrete inquiries.
Happy New Year folks! Stay safe out there.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow. Even the car salesmen pay the referral fee and without any stipulation that you had to be a prior buyer from their dealership or anything else. So Fedex has dropped even behind than car salesmen now. Wow.

Reactions: jcochristoph