2014 Hino 195 whistling noise when engines braking

MichaelLyu

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
Hello everyone,

recently I noticed that the truck makes a sharp whistling noise when engine braking, and the noise will go away immediately when I press the accelerator, I’m thinking about replacing the turbo.

I’ll attach a video of the noise, please help, thanks a lot!

MichaelLyu

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
The system won’t let me upload the video says the file is too big……

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Make and model of truck for our repair gurus.
And fyi most turbos can be rebuilt.
Alternator, starter, anything that the belt runs can make that noise. So failing bearing can make it.

MichaelLyu

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
Make and model of truck for our repair gurus.
And fyi most turbos can be rebuilt.
Alternator, starter, anything that the belt runs can make that noise. So failing bearing can make it.
Hello there, thank you for your reply, it’s a 2014 hino 195, currently have 240k miles, if it’s the belt, why the problem go away if I turn off the engine brake?

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
It’s an exhaust leak. When the exh brake is on it puts back pressure on the exhaust. The exhaust rushes through wherever the leak is and whistles. Seen it a hundred times. You can not rebuild a Hino turbo. The Jo5 exhaust manifold bolts love to break and then the manifold leaks. Look there for black soot.

MichaelLyu

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
Hello there,

thank you so much for replying, someone checked for me and he found some broken bolts on the turbo that caused the leak, he replaced the turbo, bolts and resealed it, it’s running fine now, thank you!

MichaelLyu

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
It’s an exhaust leak. When the exh brake is on it puts back pressure on the exhaust. The exhaust rushes through wherever the leak is and whistles. Seen it a hundred times. You can not rebuild a Hino turbo. The Jo5 exhaust manifold bolts love to break and then the manifold leaks. Look there for black soot.
Hello there,

thank you so much for replying, someone checked for me and he found some broken bolts on the turbo that caused the leak, he replaced the turbo, bolts and resealed it, it’s running fine now, thank you!