2006 M2 rides & idles rough

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Hello. I'm the proud driver of a 2006 FRTLNR M2 with a (ugh) Mercedes Motor. I previously was in a 2001 FL80 with a Cat 3126 motor. One thing about this truck is the ride is really rough. I bet horse and wagon would be like riding on air compaired to this truck, it it normally this harsh of a ride? Also when idleing the truck at night even with the RPM's turned up to 1K the sleeper/bunk vibrates really bad. I pretty much keep the truck off not only to save gas but to keep me from waking up with a headache. Is this common, should i have the fleetowners look into this?

Thanks for your help...

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
As far as the rough ride goes,try this. crawl under the truck to the back of the sleeper,(be sure to take a couple of 7/16" wrenches with you)right in the middle of the frame rails you will see an air valve with a threaded rod attached to it.Remove one end of the rod from the ball swivel and loosen the locknut on the rod.Turn the connector clockwise about 4 turns and replace the connector on the ball swivel and retighten the locknut.

This will soften up the ride somewhat,you may have to repeat the process if it still too rough.If you go too far the sleeper will bottom out on the bumps,you just have to find the "sweet spot".DD.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a `03 MBE 900. Idle is rough. Changing up or down afew hundred RPM`s helps,but it seems to be a fault of MBE. Previous enginesI.E. International
,and UD, did not have this problem.

By the way my late Dad would just cringe when you call it an "Motor".He was allways quick to point ot that it is an "Engine.

ThibodeauxBayou

Not a Member
I have felt your pain in regards to the ride of the business class offerings of FL

We purchased a 05 at an auction last year. It was fully equipped and had a Benz sleeper.

We immediately added a tag axle.

On our first over the road trip out west from Baton Rouge to LA we soon discovered what our major issues were with this vehicle. The ride comfort factor was killing us. Each and every bridge apron we came across caused the entire cab to shudder. Trying to sleep in the bunk during movement was impossible. We soon found the equipped safety belts were installed not just for emergency's but for keeping you from flying about the sleeper every time you hit a road bump. We stopped en route at a FL dealer to have the shocks & springs checked out. Since the vehicle had only 43,000 miles , we soon discovered nothing was wrong with the suspension at all. We were told by dealership service personnel that the ride we were experiencing was normal.

The biggest bit of information we were given was that the business class M2 was never intended nor designed for over the road work. The cab and sleeper are mounted directly on a rigid frame supported by nothing but blocks of hard rubber. That explained the bumpy jarring ride qualities. Also, the seats are day seats not intended for long term riding. The engine is seriously underpowered explaining the poor fuel mileage.

We were informed that an air bag conversion could easily be performed and that would help greatly improve the ride quality. The cost of this installation was extremely expensive.

So we find out that this M2 is basically designed for inner city,local,and day deliveries. That would explain why 99% of these trucks never run outside of a 200 mile radius of the home based terminal. Fine for mom & pop distribution, parts delivery, etc.
Not for team driving if one expects to actually get a good 5 hours of sleep while the truck is moving.

Well we returned from our west coast adventure and sold the M2. We took those funds and purchased an 04 Columbia. A company outside Dallas took care of the frame extension and we had a box installed.

Lesson learned. Class eight vehicles are not only designed for professionals but deliver the kind of ride a serious over the road driver needs. Cramped up in some tiny cab being bounced around all day does nothing but strip your energy and alertness levels. Am actually getting better MPG with an engine that has two times more HP than that mb900 thang. We also can accommodate allot more cargo weight.We have invested a couple more dollars to this truck than intended but we now have a platform that can comfortably transport two professional drivers.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Yea i know these trucks are not designed to do what they do. The old FL80 i was in with 600K miles rode on clouds compaired to this thing. I hate going on bumpy roads cause my head hits the roof just about every time so now i slouch or lean forward to keep this from happening. This makes for great posture and really keeps up on my comfort level... I'm just glad i'm running solo in this truck cause if i had a co driver, we wouldnt get any sleep. Heck i can barely get any sleep if the truck is idleing. And dont get me started on the NORCOLD refridgerator that sounds like it has a bee's nest living inside the thing when it kicks on...

6 more month and i'm off the road for good... CANT WAIT :-(