Insurance

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
keep in mind if you have an older model to keep the replacement value down reasonable...when it gets total most insurers have the option to total it out at 50% of the appraised value....you not see one cent if you over value the van...

BTW I just had a 06 totaled out and got $12k for it with 316k. Considering myself lucky on that one, but on the downside the driver has been looked down upon and still waiting for a response from carrier Monday will tell it all.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ohhh then you might have to go with a big carrier for awhile...

Big carriers are the best in my opinion or ones that can keep a Sprinter moving coast to coast. And the low in house insurance rates to top it off. Panther has the capability to do that. Everything east of i35 is nice but gets boring and drivers like to have options when it comes to scenery.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW I just had a 06 totaled out and got $12k for it with 316k. Considering myself lucky on that one, but on the downside the driver has been looked down upon and still waiting for a response from carrier Monday will tell it all.

last year my 05 .....814,000 was totaled out with only 4300 in damages....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Big carriers are the best in my opinion or ones that can keep a Sprinter moving coast to coast. And the low in house insurance rates to top it off. Panther has the capability to do that. Everything east of i35 is nice but gets boring and drivers like to have options when it comes to scenery.

I prefer between I35 and I 29....usually much better rates...might take a little longer between loads but the extra revenue is even sweeter......I have a hobby!! LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Impressive mileage, what did you get to replace it? How many T1N's do you have?

I didn't...I bought it back from them....highest bid on Salvage .com was $3500 so it cost me $800 to buy it back........at 796,000 had a factory new engine put in...Now at 877,000

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
So, basically any carrier that has Grange as their trucking insurance are operating their business fraudulently? There are quite a few big name multi-carrier companies who have Grange as their primary insurance, and they are still moving loads.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am going to be the bad guy as usual in these cases...I really hope that this issue drives a few 1,000 vans to the curb....we are saturated now and the rates are in the toilet....supply and demand..
Good bye, adios, so long...good luck in another career line....
<-----Avatar!

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you retire that will be one less. :)

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't...I bought it back from them....highest bid on Salvage .com was $3500 so it cost me $800 to buy it back........at 796,000 had a factory new engine put in...Now at 877,000

opps i inverted numbers...it blew at 697,000....and at 877,000 now...

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What big name carriers are running the multi carrier model? I'm curious.

None of the ones listed on here do, that is a thing of the past. My understanding was they all got tired on bidding on the same loads against other carriers for their driver.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
None of the ones listed on here do, that is a thing of the past. My understanding was they all got tired on bidding on the same loads against other carriers for their driver.

I was being rather sarcastic. There are no big name carriers running that model, only small questionable operations that like to claim they have "200 trucks" signed on when in reality none of them are signed on exclusively.

There were quite a few people running around the expo looking for another company to add because they weren't busy enough with the three they were already running for. They all use the same terminology too. "I'm looking for another broker. I already run loads for three brokers now." I proceeded to explain to one guy how he didn't understand what a broker is and how he's using the term wrong and he walked away looking confused. Another guy asked me if we are a broker and I said yes. When he asked if he could do loads for us, I asked him for his MC number. He asked why he needed that and I told him that we can only broker loads to a motor carrier but we can dispatch trucks that are signed on to us exclusively. He was also quite confused. It amazes me how many people can be out there driving a vehicle all over the country without even a basic understanding of the industry.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Amazing isnt it Charles. This thread has been going on and on and im still trying to figure out why most cant understand the reality or would put their business at risk for a cheaper insurance provider that may not be there when they need them. Not to mention that they may not be insuring them correctly to start with.

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
Well there are two well known companies with over 50 trucks on the road who are using Grange as their insurance carrier. I guess the multi-carrier model is still alive and well.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well there are two well known companies with over 50 trucks on the road who are using Grange as their insurance carrier. I guess the multi-carrier model is still alive and well.

Do you think they are alive and well enough to share this thread with Grange corporate and ask about their policies? Odds are their policies are covering one van to boot and the carrier would say 50???? Expediters????

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
Do you think they are alive and well enough to share this thread with Grange corporate and ask about their policies? Odds are their policies are covering one van to boot and the carrier would say 50???? Expediters????

What I meant to say is that they are still getting loads from brokers no problem.