My blown engine story.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thursday July 3rd my 4.8 Chevrolet engine gave up its last breath. Murray got me a going home load from just outside Cleveland going to Warren MI. Perfect load to go home for the long weekend. Used a forklift to drag my dead van around to the front parking lot of the shipper. Walked next door to the Ford dealer and told them if they had a long/tall Transit, I'd write them a check and drive it home. They didn't have one.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, I called a taxi and paid for a ride to the nearest airport that had an Avis. My wife works for Avis and gets free rentals. Drive back to Milwaukee with a brand new Volvo car (very nice car). Spent the 4th not thinking about my problems. Saturday early morning I took my half ton Suburban and my car hauler and headed back to Cleveland to retrieve my van. Had to call a tow truck to winch the van into my trailer. Towed amazingly easy. Got the van home late Saturday night. Then onto EBay to find an engine. Found one local for $400. Put an add on Craigslist for a GM mechanic that did side jobs. Found my mechanic. Dropped off the van Monday night. Picked up the engine Tuesday morning and dropped it off Tuesday night.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1405217812.684191.jpg
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1405217829.591622.jpg

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got my van back today. Total cost of $400 engine and $900 to the mechanic. The labor was higher then originally agreed on because I decided that while the engine was out, let's change the P/S pump, water pump, belts, tensioners, idlers, hoses and anything else that he saw maintenance related. He found a cracked transmission line and replaced that. (Probably cracked when he broke it loose from the trans cooler. He even recharged the A/C. My van idles smoother and has more power then it's had in years. Test drive with the mechanic, everything works! Great oil pressure, correct temperature and shifts perfect. Not happy about the money outlay or the week off the road, but I couldn't have had a better outcome. At least now when I get a new van, my old one will have some resale value. A van with a blown engine and 409K on the odometer wasn't worth much!

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good story. I'm surprised you were able to get an engine for such a low cost.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Did your engine source have the mileage on the engine you bought? Sounds like a great deal!! I'm thinking about taking a "heap" and having some fun with it. A drop in engine in that price range kinda makes it silly to consider even a rebuild.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The yard where I bought the engine had a hang tag showing the exact mileage of the engine and a handwritten chart showing cranking compression of each individual cylinder. Their eBay add showed pictures of the wrecked truck. That allowed me to see the area of the hit and the overall condition of the rest of the truck including the interior.I believe if the undamaged parts of the truck appeared well cared for and the interior looked well cared for that the owner took pride in his ride and was more likely to have done his proper maintenance. And it came with a 6 month warranty.

I found them on eBay by doing a search for a "4.8 GM Engine" and changed the preferences to "nearest result first". They were asking $400 but I drove up and paid outside of eBay and they lowered the price to $375. With sales tax it was $398.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'm guessing there's a pretty wide range of year models that a 4.8 can swap with. Sounds like you found a good one!!!
Now go test drive that thing around all day!
Picnic in Millennium Park?
Road trip to Oshkosh?
Have a great day!!
Our "feelers" are out this morning!!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm just a little curious as to what tipped you off that the engine was blown and that it wasn't something simple-- like ignition failure or a bad fuel injector. Did you get any sort of "heads up" ahead of time or was the failure sudden.

Just curious, so if/when it happens to me I have an idea what's happening and maybe head trouble off at the pass.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My engine problems started months ago. Was in CA and they had tremendous rains. It was like driving thru a 6" deep puddle for 50 miles. My check engine light came on, truck started running really bad. First chance I got I checked the code. All O2 sensors and their heaters were showing bad. Changed the fuse, which was blown. That fixed the CEL. From that day on the van had a misfire at idle on number 2 cylinder. Finally got home and installed new spark plugs and wires. Next put a new coil on #2. Nothing helped. Tried a new MAF sensor, still bad. After tolerating this for a couple of months I finally took it to a mechanic. Had low compression in #2 cylinder. Could be bad rings, bad piston, camshaft or bad valve in that cylinder. Knowing I was going to get a new van later this year, I just kept running it, clearing the code for the misfire every day. Finally, while driving close to a building to make a pu, I could hear that the engine was very noisy. I went inside for pw and came back out to move my van. Turned the key and it started right up but within seconds started making loud clunking and banging sounds. Shut it off and started looking for the cause. Checked the TC cover for damage, nothing. Opened the hood, everything was in place, fan, shroud, hoses and belts. Restarted the van and it took half throttle to keep it running, with all the knocking and clunking. Then it just locked up solid. Key now does nothing but engage the starter, won't turn over. I just knew, this was the end for this engine.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Old engine out and in my shop. Next time I'm home I'll pull the valve covers and inspect. Then I'll roll it over and drop the oil pan. I need to know what broke! I did notice already that the one exhaust manifold is nice and dark brown while the side that had the misfire is chalky and very white. Looking into the intake ports, everything appears to be in its proper place. No dropped valves that I can see from the outside.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Donor engine is in place and running better then the van has run in months. Drove it everywhere Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Starts cold, starts hot, no smoke or funny noises. Feels rock solid. Ready to go back on the road with it Tuesday morning. Got a week with no pay and some repair expenses to recover. Run me hard Murray!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was pushing myself hard to get the new Transit or the GM Unicell CW. Now I'm kind of feeling ok again in the van I already have. The push to buy new was because I knew my current vans days were numbered. If Ford had had the Transit available or if Unicell hadn't told me 8-12 weeks, I'd have already picked one up and been using it. Now I think I need to make some more money with this one for a while. Maybe order new in January for spring delivery. This van will be for sale next spring.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Old engine out and in my shop. Next time I'm home I'll pull the valve covers and inspect. Then I'll roll it over and drop the oil pan. I need to know what broke! I did notice already that the one exhaust manifold is nice and dark brown while the side that had the misfire is chalky and very white. Looking into the intake ports, everything appears to be in its proper place. No dropped valves that I can see from the outside.
You are just like me. When something breaks, I have to take it apart to see why it broke. Let us know what you find out.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK, that answered my questions. Taking a wild guess, I'd say you got a slight hydraulic lock driving through all that heavy weather, and the bad problem got progressively worse until catastrophic failure happened a few days ago. There will possibly be a bent connecting rod on #2 cylinder and ruined bearings. That last is what finished you when the bearings could take no more.

Now that you have a good replacement engine, make some money with that van. It's been a real trooper, no reason to stop now.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I would pull the oil pan first, it sounds like you broke a connecting rod.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app