Your Prayers Please for Glen and Janice Rice

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It is probably not a good idea to publish Glen and Jan's mailing address here. If you e-mail me, I'll pass it on to you. No fund for financial contributions has been established.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Hello to all of our friends in expediting. I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to read all your warm thoughts and prayers! I have known for awhile that I had something growing in my side. I made the decision to wait until my Medicare kicked in. Maybe not my best decision but none the less that was my choice. As you have read I do have a large tumor in my pancreas that is crowding my lung and back. For those that have had the chance to break bread with myself and Janice you would think I would have plenty of room in my ribcage for a orange sized tumor to live. Hey you got to laugh? Right?
I have had such a blessed life and certainly have no regrets. If this doesn't turn out quite the way I hoped, remember this..today has been wonderful and if tomorrow never comes, that's OK. I've managed to squeeze two lifetimes into one!
I have also found out that I have a lot of friends! When you are sick and feeling low there have been a few that stuck with me! No, change that to a lot of people stuck by my side. Whether it was by E-mail or phone or dropped in to say hi. They never left my side! For that I am grateful.
Well enough of my ramblings as I'm getting tired. Phil and Diane Madsen mentioned that some of you have asked what Hospital I will be checking into....well it is a transplant hospital that doesn't allow any cards, gifts or flowers due to risk of infection. So I hope that you buy your spouse a flower or gift and know that I know your heart is with me. That means so much more to me than you will ever know.
When I started driving back in 1973 I never thought I would have so many wonderful memories to take with me through the rest of my life.
And for the last item of donations...I am thrilled that Medicare will cover most all my bills and Janice and I have been blessed with the ability to cover our financial responsibilities. Although as I told Phil and Diane I could use a bottle of tequila for my new Margarita machine! It makes a gallon at a time! Now that is a "cool ride"!
Anyway, thanks again for all your thoughts,
We Love you all,
Glen and Janice

are12

Expert Expediter
Glen,

You have a great outlook on life!

Even though I have never met you, I will keep you and your wife in my prayers. Best of luck and a speedy recovery!

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I lurked on this site for a long time before I joined it and Glens posts were very helpful to me. We have never met but I'm grateful for the help. Glen you and yours are definately in my prayers.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Glen was in surgery for about four hours today (Tuesday). Doctors removed the tumor, his spleen and 70% of his pancreas. He is in intensive care now and expected to remain there for several days. The pathology report on th tumor will arrive in a few days. Doctors believe they were able to save the portion of the pancreas that produces insulin.

Glen will be sedated for a while and perhaps longer than planed because they were unable to insert a planned pain pump into Glen's spine. That is because of the hardware that is there from previous operations. One of several operations Glen had resulting from the accident was an operation to fuse his spine.

Jan called me from their home with this news. She is tired but doing as well as can be expected. There was hope in her voice. She said the Doctors told them that if things were real bad, they may open Glen up and close him up without doing much. She said she was grateful and relieved that things were not found to be that bad.

For the next few days, they Doctors and the ICU staff will be monitoring Glen for pain and infection, which is a risk that has everyone concerned.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Thanks Phil

For the all the news on Glen and Janice Rice.

Drive safe
Dave Mayfield
FedEx Custom Critical
13 years as an O/O in Expediting.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thank you, Phil & Diane, for being there, for all of us, and for keeping us updated - preciate it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Janice sent this update today (Wednesday):

I just got back from the hospital. Glen was doing fairly well. He is still in ICU but may be moved to another floor tomorrow. He is uncomfortable, hungry and thirsty. Just before I left, they were going to give him ice chips - he was happy & excited about that. Glen is very determined and very strong. Last night he called me several times. The first time he called, I asked him if he was ok. He sounded weird. Well, he was calling me in spite of the fact that he was on a respirator! The respirator was removed this morning, but not before he had called me several times! Most of you know how Glen loves to chat. When he stops wanting to talk, then we are in trouble! So he seems to be coming along very well except he is dying for a Pepsi! Thank all of you so much for your concern and your prayers. I will continue to update you on his progress. Janice

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks for the update Phil, and please keep us updated. Let them know they are both in our prayers, he for recovery, and she for strength.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"Good will, like a good name, is achieved by many actions and lost by one."

Zig Ziglar

JeffJensen

Moderator Emeritus
A Glen update:

I spoke to Glen very briefly today, he wasn't in any condition to have a lengthy conversation.

I talked to Janice later and she told me that they still did not have the biopsy results yet. Janice says his spirits are up and down which is to be expected. He was up and out of bed for the first time and as Janice says, "He's a trooper."

Janice tells me that Glen enjoys hearing from people, so if you'd like to send a card, it would most assuredly be appreciated.

That address is:

Glen Rice
504 Rio Grande
Edgewater, Florida 32141

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thank you Jeff for the update and also for the address. We really appreciate it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Janice shared this on Friday:

Glen had a rough night and today wasn't much better. For a while, we thought he would have to undergo emergency exploratory surgery. Thankfully, towards the end of the day, he began to rally. He is still in ICU and has had several blood transfusions. He probably will have several days of ups and downs before he finally stabilizes. Glen has a positive spirit, and is determined to get well. We are so happy here with our life in Florida and have many wonderful friends. We are truly blessed. We are so thankful for each and every one of you. Your support during this difficult time has been a tremendous blessing and source of strength to us both. Janice

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Glen called me from the hospital around 1:00 p.m. EDT today (Sunday). Janice was with him. Glen said he has been moved from ICU to PCU and that the rooms are nicer there.

I asked him how he was doing and he said, "Not so good." He complained of pain which he described as "burning inside." He said the doctors could not insert a pain pump in his spine because of the metal plates he had back there, the drugs they were giving him by other means were not working all that well, and time is moving slowly.

Glen offered an update on the house-building project the Rices were in the middle of when he went in for surgery. He reported good progress on that. He asked how we were running and about the weather where we are. He then ended the call saying his mouth was very dry.

While Glen is having a rough go of it, it is good news that he has been stepped down one care level from ICU. He knows what is going on with and around him and that lots of folks are praying for him and Janice. If only there were a way to ease his pain and accelerate his recovery.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Glen called from the hospital around 12:30 p.m EDT today (Tuesday). He is making his calls with the cell phone Janice brings in. Glen sounded 100% better than when he called on Sunday. He was able to shave himself this morning. His vision has been blury and he is starting to read a little bit. Further out, he is enjoying the view from his Florida hospital room window (Bertfish Hospital). He can see a river and the beach and is enjoying the boats going by.

I asked about his pain. He said it was "OK but not great" and, "It has been a rough couple of days." Side effects from the medication have swelled his joints. It hurts to try to walk or move around.

Glen remains in PCU, a step down from ICU. He did not have a day in mind about when he might leave the hospital. He said a couple days ago he might have said he'd be out by the weekend, but now he feels he needs to rest more. As before, he kept the call brief.

M

Mcarriers

Thanks for the update on Glen. That's good news!!! Tell him that we're still thinking of him and to stay positive.

Mello
FedEx

Mister TyZo

Expert Expediter
ATeam - Thanks so much for the Updates. You can add me to the List of Prayer Warriors for Glenn & Janice.

TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR RIDE

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here is the latest update from Janice:

Glen's surgery was a week ago today. We've experienced a lot of ups and downs, which is to be expected with any major surgery. Glen's been feeling a lot better yesterday and today, so we're believing that we're on the uphill climb. He has been moved from ICU to PCU (don't know what PCU means; it is a step down from ICU but he receives more intense care than he would receive if he was in a standard room). We're still awaiting biopsy results, but his recent improvement gives us a great measure of hope. I will continue to update you on his progress. Janice