You should just die

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Today I heard a few Obama comments. These are things like his "wait until after I'm elected and I'll have more flexibility" and others. The one that really stood out was his just die comments. I was driving so I couldn't take notes. This is paraphrased but he said something like "we'd be able to tell that mother the operation may not be the best way to go, it may not be the best option. It may be better to go home and use medication and spend what time is available together." In other words, under Obamacare, just take extra strength tylenol and die. It's what the death panel's are going to tell you anyway.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
This is paraphrased but he said something like "we'd be able to tell that mother the operation may not be the best way to go, it may not be the best option. It may be better to go home and use medication and spend what time is available together."

This was the case with my father as the surgery would have certainly killed him sooner. The choice was his to make. It happens.

In other words, under Obamacare, just take extra strength tylenol and die. It's what the death panel's are going to tell you anyway.

The rumor of Death Panels was debunked a long time ago. It was a Palin creation.
If you would listen to actual news from time to time versus political commentary you could get up to date on some of this stuff.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
This was the case with my father as the surgery would have certainly killed him sooner. The choice was his to make. It happens.

The rumor of Death Panels was debunked a long time ago. It was a Palin creation.
If you would listen to actual news from time to time versus political commentary you could get up to date on some of this stuff.

Who debunked it???? the liberal media??? their are plans for a panel that will make decisions

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and you think there isn't a type of death panel that exists right now?....
No insurance....expensive on going care.....sorry you are going to die....

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Life expectancy is going down by design...in the future you will be lucky to live past 60....its all done by design....Monsanto, GMO foods, vaccines, medications..ect...they wont need death panels..

Sent from my Teddy Ruxspin

Missie600

Active Expediter
Life expectancy is going down by design...in the future you will be lucky to live past 60....its all done by design....Monsanto, GMO foods, vaccines, medications..ect...they wont need death panels..

Sent from my Teddy Ruxspin

My plan is to not get sick! We try our best to eat right, take vitamins and exercise, floss our teeth. Anything to stay healthy. We haven't been to the Dr. for anything serious in 7 years except for check ups and DOT physicals. I don't live in a fantasy world thinking we will never need to see a Dr. But if you take care of yourself you have a better chance.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just a matter of what to call it. If you are going to have a panel of 15 appointed government policy makers made up of people outside of the medical community to determine costs for procedures and at what point they are received or not,........what would one call it?
The right calls them "death panels" and the left pretends this group won't exist yet it is clearly in the Obamacare law.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a matter of what to call it. If you are going to have a panel of 15 appointed government policy makers made up of people outside of the medical community to determine costs for procedures and at what point they are received or not,........what would one call it?
The right calls them "death panels" and the left pretends this group won't exist yet it is clearly in the Obamacare law.

and you don't think hospital boards don't have this now?....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
and you don't think hospital boards don't have this now?....

No not really. As it currently stands, the insurance industry followed by state and federal regs control what is decided. But make no mistake, it is still money driven. There are still alot of checks and balances and when they go to this board, those will be eliminated. Or.....there will be quite a few court challenges.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No not really. As it currently stands, the insurance industry followed by state and federal regs control what is decided. But make no mistake, it is still money driven. There are still alot of checks and balances and when they go to this board, those will be eliminated. Or.....there will be quite a few court challenges.

I was thinking quality of care is decided depending on level of insurance coverage....

Like we'll stabilize me and transfer me to county...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually, it's not. The language that Palin was screaming about was removed from the bill entirely before it was voted on. It dealt with having Medicare pay for physician consultations for living wills and end of life decisions on an individual basis between physician and patient, with no panel involved, rather than not have such consultations covered, as is currently the case with Obamacare. There is a 15 person panel, all of whom must be approved by Congress and will have Congressional oversight, who will try and rein in the runaway Medicare costs, though. But they'll beer making big picture decisions, not individual decisions of whether this or that person will live or die. Insurance companies already have the same types of panels. It's to prevent doctors, particularly those with publicly held corporations answering to shareholders, from routinely performing expensive procedures that are of little or no benefit to the patient but only benefit the bottom line of a financial statement.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I do agree they won't be making decisions on individual cases, but I am not sold on how this oversight panel is going to work. Or, I haven't heard of a good explanation.
Have to wait and see. You are correct with the Palin claims. I wasn't really referencing her comments.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Who debunked it? MSNBC and that crowd. :rolleyes:

MSNBC is a political commentary station of the worst order just like Fox. Those who are duped into thinking that they can consider these as a news source are misinformed.

There are many sources online to easily learn about the PPAC Act including the Act itself.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
MSNBC is a political commentary station of the worst order just like Fox. Those who are duped into thinking that they can consider these as a news source are misinformed.

There are many sources online to easily learn about the PPAC Act including the Act itself.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that there are legitimate news shows mixed in with the political commentators. It seems all news media has a slight bend as to how they report a story.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I do agree they won't be making decisions on individual cases, but I am not sold on how this oversight panel is going to work. Or, I haven't heard of a good explanation.
Have to wait and see. You are correct with the Palin claims. I wasn't really referencing her comments.

Best correlation that I've heard and read about is that it's similar to the same panel that oversees the military base closings and other military budget cuts. A panel making hard decisions based on something other than politics. We'll see.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is what I was thinking. How closely tied medical lobbyists are to that panel will answer some of that. The other thing unconfirmed is this 15 member panel will have no medical background. Not sure if that is true or not?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
That is what I was thinking. How closely tied medical lobbyists are to that panel will answer some of that. The other thing unconfirmed is this 15 member panel will have no medical background. Not sure if that is true or not?

That would be a very tough panel to put together. You might have medical professionals that want to save everyone, bean counters only worried about money, or a mix of the 2 fighting.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
"...from routinely performing expensive procedures that are of little or no benefit to the patient but only benefit the bottom line of a financial statement"

This happens all of the time, doctors operate on people in nursing homes because they have insurance, on non-life changing issues that have no positive quality of life results other than to enrich the doctor. My wife is a surgical nurse and we discuss this weekly.

Scott