Yellow penske trucks

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any idea of the mpg of the cube vs your van?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

I rented one a couple times when my S/T was in the shop for the 1 or 2 skid jobs. GVW is under 12,500lbs You can only scale arround 3,500 lbs max on the newer ones, and they get betwene 8 and 9 mpg.
Hell I average 9 to 10 MPG with my International S/T with a DT 466 and scale 10,000 in a 24 foot box.

The reason parasites are picking these up is the knowledge that DOT realy wont bother you unless there is a reason for you to be pulled over. And thats the real reason.

Bob Wolf

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Obviously, these old Penske trucks are very negative to our industry, driving rates down for legal professional carriers and owners. It wouldn't take much money to mount a very serious effort to rid our industry of these bottom feeders. A small web site with a catchy focused name, containing a home/statement page and subsequent pages that contain ready-made Word letters designed to complain to local/regional law enforcement, complete with a picture of a nasty example illustrating what to look for (a "WANTED" poster look for wall posting?).

I don't want to encourage wholesale crackdowns across our industry but such a tool would provide a great tool focused on these scoundrels! Would you sent out some of these letters if they were so easy to get? Word of mouth awareness should be great!

problem is.....carriers like ours use these guys to cover loads....the load boards want these guys...

Opps....On wife's computer....LOL Ken aka OVM

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
problem is.....carriers like ours use these guys to cover loads....the load boards want these guys...

Opps....On wife's computer....LOL Ken aka OVM

Ahhhhh,,,,,,, and Now the honey-do list begins.......:D

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

gflight

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I run 4 of these trucks. The fuel mileage is 10-11 1/2 mpg. They have nice bunk areas, portable ac mounted to wall, vented out the side, converters, generators. Yes, the payload is 3500 lbs max for these trucks. All my drivers speak english, 3 out of 4 have CDL. This helps on insurance. I don't run cheap freight, unless $ 1.10 per mile is considered cheap.

I agree that there are a lot of them running illegal, and cheap. These trucks have a bad rep. But when run legal, maintained properly, these trucks do make money for driver and owner.

One of the problems is that a lot of shippers, ( I know this first hand ) Want us to haul over weight. They have told me when I get there, and the weight is over contracted weight, well you can haul it because you don't have to scale. I have lost at least 3 loads because I would not haul it unless they lowered the weight.

So those of us that run legal, maintain our trucks must pay the price for all who don't. Soon, these trucks will have to abide by the larger trucks rules. And I will be ready.

This is just my comment on the subject.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run 4 of these trucks. The fuel mileage is 10-11 1/2 mpg. They have nice bunk areas, portable ac mounted to wall, vented out the side, converters, generators. Yes, the payload is 3500 lbs max for these trucks. All my drivers speak english, 3 out of 4 have CDL. This helps on insurance. I don't run cheap freight, unless $ 1.10 per mile is considered cheap.

I agree that there are a lot of them running illegal, and cheap. These trucks have a bad rep. But when run legal, maintained properly, these trucks do make money for driver and owner.

One of the problems is that a lot of shippers, ( I know this first hand ) Want us to haul over weight. They have told me when I get there, and the weight is over contracted weight, well you can haul it because you don't have to scale. I have lost at least 3 loads because I would not haul it unless they lowered the weight.

So those of us that run legal, maintain our trucks must pay the price for all who don't. Soon, these trucks will have to abide by the larger trucks rules. And I will be ready.

I know my carrier is TRYING to be dillegent and not use the ones that are illegal by checking proper insurance requirements each time they might be used.......but one may slip thru the cracks...

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Obviously, these old Penske trucks are very negative to our industry, driving rates down for legal professional carriers and owners. It wouldn't take much money to mount a very serious effort to rid our industry of these bottom feeders. A small web site with a catchy focused name, containing a home/statement page and subsequent pages that contain ready-made Word letters designed to complain to local/regional law enforcement, complete with a picture of a nasty example illustrating what to look for (a "WANTED" poster look for wall posting?).

I don't want to encourage wholesale crackdowns across our industry but such a tool would provide a great tool focused on these scoundrels! Would you sent out some of these letters if they were so easy to get? Word of mouth awareness should be great!

No offense but your statement here lacks any common sense or purpose!!! With all the other issues going in the expedited market. Your focusing on a style of truck being used and wanting to spend money on this effort no less?
This is no different than the "ban the van" effort that's been around for ages!
Instead why not focus on trying to rid of the low life carriers that low ball freight bids? Or making carriers have their drivers know how to speak and read and write English here in America?
Focus your efforts on lowering fuel prices in America?
Like gflight said if you drive within proper speed limits you'd probably get decent gas mileage. Besides the roominess makes a comfy sleeping area!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Not calling out B S here....but....are you saying yours are 9900 gvw.....IF so then theres NO way you can haul Legally 3500 payload......I ve weigh these empty as well as Sprinters & other brands.....if gvw is 12,500 then you legally need a logbook...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

spongebox1

Expert Expediter

Here's my problem with this comment ; I've seen inside your trucks, I've heard them run and I've witnessed your freight and drivers and honestly its a joke, your sleeper are about as safe as a cardboard box, the ac unit won't cool a closet and your trucks are so worn out that I would be surprised if they got 6mpg, you might run legal freight but your running at the margins my friend, I did see some door stickers on a few but I can personally attest to five plus loads over the last year being over weight.
You want to run legal? Than brand every truck and stop at every scalehouse like those of us who truly run legal do. 1.10$ a mile? Is that what you charge or you pay your drivers? If you truly run these " pesky penskys " legal and are commited to doing like the rest of us then paint them, clean them, badge them and be proud to run them, show us that your a around company and prove the " pesky pesky" haters wrong!

BTW I pray the time comes soon that you will have to abide by the same rules that we do!

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Food for thought ; I've had at least five cube drivers tell me that there owners make them bypass scale houses, they dam near make some of them stay on the back roads in Tenn, Ohio and Georgia!

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter
I did menage to talk with one of them. He was an expediter from Chicago. He was happy with $1.30 per mile they are paying him and yes, he pays for fuel and all that good stuff.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The real deal: If you're "under 10K" in one of these things, you should be running single tires on your rear axle and with that heavy box you won't be able to carry any useful weight. If you're running dual wheels, that is a giveaway that your real gross weight in that "Tonka Truck" is really more like 12,500 and if the door sticker says under 10K, it's been altered-- and you can carry even less because those extra tires are HEAVY, in case you haven't noticed. So, you're really at 12,500 with that truck, and need to log and follow HOS and all the rest of it--- or you're illegal, one of the two.

If you want to make life rough for the "Pesky Penskes" all that has to be done is to enforce existing laws.

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter

Gflight u really should weigh your truck. I talked to one of your drivers before and he showed me the door gvw sticker. It was low. The reason it is low is because that was put on by gm before the box was installed. They send those trucks to get the box installed and don't change the sticker

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you advocating citizens arrest ?
Start pulling them over ?

The DOT officers want to fill the revenue coffers with tickets, this is the place to start. Pull over a Penske, bet the rent it's over and that the sticker has been altered, and that the driver has no concept of the law because he hasn't been taught it. Or if he has, he's been taught that his job is to skirt the law.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The DOT officers want to fill the revenue coffers with tickets, this is the place to start. Pull over a Penske, bet the rent it's over and that the sticker has been altered, and that the driver has no concept of the law because he hasn't been taught it. Or if he has, he's been taught that his job is to skirt the law.

That's profiling.

Let's just pull over ALL van/ van types.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Special note: If you're gonna put that big box on an E-350 frame, you're going to have to do the job right, with beefed up springs, tires and the rest of the package. That means you're going to have a heavier truck to start with, and by the time you're finished you're going to be over 10K. Trying to sell the idea that a "Tonka Truck" with a dual-rear-wheel set-up is under 10K gross is a joke. Everybody knows it's over, only the enforcement is lacking. But don't count on that always to be the case, the laws are ALREADY on the books and in the not-too-distant future the DOT is going to start enforcing it.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's profiling.

Let's just pull over ALL van/ van types.

Yes, it is profiling. You have a baby-box truck with dual rear wheels trying to sell you that he's under 10K, but he has four skids on that thing with a payload of 4,500 pounds. Hmmmmm.....

I have a heavy-2500, door plate says 8,600 and I've never been close to that, probably won't be either with automotive electronic loads being what they are. Back in my "local courier" days I got close, hauling paper. That stuff can be surprisingly heavy. Note: If a cargo van looks heavy, the officer is justified in pulling that van over to check. An overweight van is dangerous, after all.

Profiling isn't necessarily a bad thing, you know.