XM radio

corky63

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2006 Sprinter van and am trying to have XM radio installed. I am buying a new in-dash radio that is XM ready but no one at Besy Buy can figure out what harness to order. They are telling me that my dodge sprinter has VW parts in it. I know it has a mercedes engine but does anyone out there know anything about the radio connections?

Dog_House2691

Seasoned Expediter
I would suggest you find a qualified stereo Installer that knows what they are doing,I purchased an InDash unit for my Econoline and they did a Hatchet Job,I had to take it back for Problems three times,Loose wires Ect.The kids they have working there couldn't flip burgers at McDonalds.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Your Sprinter likely has a Becker radio in it - our 2006 2500 long and tall has a Becker Sound 30 model. I'd guess that the service CD from DC likely may have the wiring diagrams and possibly the pinouts for the radio. Also Becker USA might have them available online.

The third option is the Yahoo Sprinter van group - in the "Files" or one of the other sections there is a bunch of GIF images showing the pinouts for a (I think) Becker Sound 30 - although I believe it is from an older model Sprinter (2003 ?) - but possibly the wiring harness is the same.

My wife's brother just dropped by for a visit today and gave me a Sirius Streamer GT with a paid up subscription thru September or October 'cause he went with XM ..... I'm trying to install it myself right now.

brownie4042

Seasoned Expediter
I run for a local messeger service out of Chciago metro and just put a 2007 Sprinter in service. Since I sold my other van with a built-in XM I tried to drop my XM subsciption. XM gave me a Delpi SkiFi2 for "peanuts" to keep with their service. I hooked in up myself using the wireless FM modulator, and am pleasently pleased how easy it was to install, and with the sound quality.

jwgmover

Expert Expediter
> They are telling me that my dodge sprinter has VW parts in
>it.

Late model M2's and Sprinters have VW connectors at the Radio. I too was surprised when the installer told me he had to use a VW kit to install my Alpine in my '07 M2. Best Buy usually keeps them in stock.

I would take the suggestion of a few others here and buy a separate XM unit. That way you can move it to the house or another vehicle when not using it in the truck. But don't let that keep you from upgrading that suck-y Freightliner Radio and Speakers.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
But don't let that keep you from upgrading that suck-y Freightliner Radio and Speakers.

Yeah ..... the stock speakers aren't exactly the greatest are they ? I have had a pair of 4" JL Audio drop-in replacements on order for the last two plus weeks ..... they were supposed to arrive the Friday following the Monday I ordered them ...... I'm still waiting ...... after repeated promises.

Somewhat irritating when they charge your card and take the money and tell ya "No problem - I'll get from the warehouse and they will be here in a couple of days."

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One time when I was enjoying all that Laredo has to offer (well, ok, not ALL that it has to offer) I ran down to Best Buy to kill some time. Walked out with a pair of 4" Fossgate replacements, and had them installed in less than a half hour. Pop the pillars off, pop up the grilles, pry up the old speakers (pry hard on the edges, they are held in place with some unseen dorky clips) and plop in the replacements. Some people will file down or clip off the edges of the new speakers, where the screws go, to get them to fit exactly, but I found that when wedged just right, I could screw them down and the grilles would fit back in place with no problems.

Now, there's only so much you can get out of 4" speakers. The highs are definitely improved, and the midrange is slightly improved. The bass, of course, is the same, as in non-existent. One of these days I'll add some more speakers.