Would you?

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
How many of you would take this load?
Deadhead 364 miles for a Monday pu and del 178 miles away.
Total pay 640.00

Tie up Friday, Sat, Sunday and Monday for 640.00.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
The load calculates out to $1.18/ml for all miles. Not good! But, what we don't know is:
1. Are you sitting in a good or bad area historically for load offers?
2. Does the load move you into a really good area after you empty out?
3. Was the load offered early Friday or late when the loads for the
weekend have all been dispatched where you are sitting?
4. Would you normally end up deadheading out on your own nickle from
this area or sit until Monday knowing better loads are coming?
5. Does the load deliver Monday or could it end up going into Tuesday?

For us being in a ER-unit that load would have to stay on the dock for someone else to haul.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
We would have offered to run the load for $900.00. If it was end of the day on Friday, when it was offered and not 10:00 am. Then we never would have even considered.
We ran a load a while back 145 miles to the pu 150 miles loaded. We had just dh 150 after sitting a day after dh from Orlando to Atlanta. This was our only offer so we offered to run it for $500.00 flat. They laughed at us for about thirty minutes then called and thanked us for agreeing to run the load at that rate.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
In a van, maybe, but in a truck, no way. That's just me. For a truck, you might ask for at least $150.00 bonus. Of course, if that was your only run this week, then you might as well run it.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
C unit, offered around 12:00 today. Was in Greensboro NC at time
load was in PA with drop in PA close to Allentown.
This was a WG load with hazmat.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
at noon? No way...was too much of the day left for a better offer.
Wouldn't have even done it in my sprinter with that much time left.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Good for you. And a WG load at that? Wow.

Would you have gotten any additional accessorials out of it?

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
The fact that it was HAZMAT and only paid 1.18 wouldv'e sealed the deal for me. I would have answered back with a no. It's a good thing you got something else.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Er... for those FedEx people who say they have no problems with the rates, this is in line with what I was being offered.

I think if it was a WG load it should have been $2 a mile, not $1.18 a mile but again I wonder if they offered it to a WG truck if the money would have been bumped?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
greg you know as well as everyone else the carrier is trying to move freight as cheaply as possible so they can retain more of what they charge the customer. If someone doesn't believe that they need to pull their head out of the clouds.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am probably the closest to Streak. Numerous variables would determine whether I would run it.
I will say that the rate is pretty low for a WG load. High dollar reefer or WG trucks running at that rate is not good.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem is the deadhead. The load is paying $3.59 per loaded mile so it's paying very very well. It's the deadhead at each end that's the killer to the overall total. That leads back to the questions of locations at both ends and whether it's good or not. If you are in Podunk and it takes you to a good area for $1.18 a mile vs. $0.00 per mile on your own then it's an EXCELLENT load. If you are in Expedite City and it takes you to Podunk where you'll have to deadhead back for $0.00 then it's a no. As stated it's a maybe since there isn't sufficient information to decide.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Only if its gona put me near Chicago, or Milwaukee. Or another load waiting for me. Thats less than 1.20 a mile at todays fuel prices that leaves you with only eighty cents a mile.

The biggest problem I see with Trucking, is one does not respect ones own time. (never assume dispatch will either) It has been posted over and over again about time being used up and those not minding that it.

We all only have one equal commidity and thats time, ones that manage it well also appear to be the ones making much more Money.

Great question.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
>The problem is the deadhead. The load is paying $3.59 per
>loaded mile so it's paying very very well. It's the deadhead
>at each end that's the killer to the overall total. That
>leads back to the questions of locations at both ends and
>whether it's good or not. If you are in Podunk and it takes
>you to a good area for $1.18 a mile vs. $0.00 per mile on
>your own then it's an EXCELLENT load. If you are in Expedite
>City and it takes you to Podunk where you'll have to
>deadhead back for $0.00 then it's a no. As stated it's a
>maybe since there isn't sufficient information to decide.

I think Leo nailed it..
Not so much the rate but location,location,location-destination,destination.

Mike

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I think Broom is correct in pointing out the time factor.The pay per mile, deadhead, and delivery location issues all are secondary to the amout of time that you have tied up your income generating tool, ( the truck).

By accepting this load the truck can be used for little else except a cramped place to live for 72 hours or so. Poor use of your assets if you ask me. Then there is always the load cancellation possibilities that always are lurking in the forward accepting load scenerio.Wow, a dry run pay for 72 hours, not cool.

I find that it is preferable to stay with the "expedited freight scenerio" where the load needs to "get and go".Usually you will also find that the hotter the load the more latitude in extra comps you have.

just my opinion