Would you trust this shop?

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Being a small business owner myself, I prefer to take my hard earned money to other small business owners and spend it rather than giving it to the large corporate owned businesses. We (small businesses) are what built this country, and we need to support each other. But not take advantage of each other in the process. Case in point:

12/9/09 Danny's Big Rig Resort Phoenix,AZ:
Replaced steering column universal joint. Kenworth captive part. Danny's has to send part's runner to kenworth 1.5 miles away.
We are charged double the price for the part plus a $20 parts run fee. I varified the price difference when calling Kenworth the following morning.

2/2/10 Danny's Big Rig Resort Phoenix,AZ:
Rotate steer tires and replace steer shocks. Having already learned that the steer shocks are a Kenworth captive part that Danny's would not have in stock, we stopped at Kenworth and purchased the shocks prior to arrivind at Danny's. We end up being charged a "20% surcharge (driver supplied part) that equaled $12.70. Again, these were parts Danny's would not have in stock. We have done the same at several other shops and NEVER been charged this "surcharge".

7/10/10 Danny's Big Rig Resort Phoenix,AZ
Have a/c system evac & recharged, a/c system and evaporator core cleaned and flushed, new expansion valve installed. Danny's captured 3.92lbs of freon from our system that holds 4.25lbs. 4.25lbs was replaced into the system for a difference of .33 (1/3)lbs. We are charged for 4.25lbs at $16.99/lbs when the cylinder that captured our freon was the same cylinder that recharged our freon. So I'm charged for the 3.92lbs of freon that was mine to begin with. Their excuse is the captured freon from your a/c system is contaminated and has to go through the filtering system in the machine before being placed back into the a/c system. Funny that the several times in the past that we have had our a/c system evac & charged, NOT once have we been charged for the amount of freon they captured. We have also been charged as low as $7.25/lbs for R-134A freon which our system takes making Danny's rate per lb on the high end. Also we are charged a $10.00 "Parts run fee non-stocked parts" when no non stocked parts were required for this job. How is that justified?

We tried to get the manager to do the right thing and omit the extra freon charge but they held their ground. It will be interesting to see what the owner has to say about this Monday and I plan to provide an update.

Danny's has been a long time favorite location for us (and many in our fleet) to layover at while in Phoenix. We generously spend our money in their cafe, c-store, chrome shop, paid parking lot, truck wash, and shop to help support this small business owner. But if we are going to be raped, I'm not so sure we can continue to support a business that has such questionable practices. Sadly, it is not the mechanics that set these charges. Plus we have always felt their mechanics to be knowledgable and courtious.

Last edited:

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
Nail me once shame on you...nail me over and over.....shame on me. I would not have given repeat business after 1st time. Knowing Danny's and the owner we never have anything done there......ever.

-charlee

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
there are to many reputable garages there in phoenix,why pick danny's.the original location does good washes,the location you go to over prices everything. Personally id have gone to KW,in the long run you would have paid less

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Nail me once shame on you...nail me over and over.....shame on me. I would not have given repeat business after 1st time. Knowing Danny's and the owner we never have anything done there......ever.

-charlee

As many have seen in my past post on this forum, I'm a VERY fair man and try very hard to give my fellow man/woman a second chance to redeem themselves. Maybe to the extreme at times. But as many here have also learned, I also have a point of no return. My method is simple. I give a "three strikes and you are out" approach unless your action is illegal or disrespectful. Danny's has had their three stikes. Maybe their less than full truck lot lately is a clue.

Charlee, if you would pm me with what I can expect from the owner I would appreciate it. I plan to speak to her Monday morning. Again, in defense of the mechanics that have worked on our truck, we have ALWAYS gotten quality work.

Last edited:

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
there are to many reputable garages there in phoenix,why pick danny's.the original location does good washes,the location you go to over prices everything. Personally id have gone to KW,in the long run you would have paid less

Kenworth in Phoenix charges much more per hour on labor. They are next to impossible to get into for work on the weekend when we are typically laid over in Phoenix. At almost 80' long they are extremely hard to manuver around in and get out of with our trailer. We prefer locations where we can drop our trailer within site, especially with all of the equipment we carry. Danny's offers that since Flying J does not allow dropped trailers or have an on-site shop.

We do go to Kenworth on weekdays if they can get us in within a reasonable time. Based on past experiance, we typically pay less for the same work at Danny's if they have the parts in stock for the same work we would have had done at Kenworth. We get quotes from both. Unfortunately this time Danny's failed to imform us that we would loose the freon they captured. That would have been the decision changer for us.

We have found a great Mom & Pop shop here in Phoenix but unfortunately they are closed on the weekends. For anyone needing a truely great alignment done this Mom & Pop here in Phoenix we found is the one to go to. They do the "as driven" MD alignments advertised on Dave Nemo's radio show. They also do many other repairs including a/c. Without Lawrence's permission I cannot name this business but you can find them on the web.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A surcharge on "user supplied parts" would have been strikes 1, 2 and 3 with me. That's blatantly ridiculous. If anything, you should charge them a fee for supplying the parts, as they have to expend zero time and effort in obtaining the parts. Them charging a surcharge for user supplied parts is nothing more than them saying, "You need to give me some money, just... because."

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Danny's has been a long time favorite location for us (and many in our fleet) to layover at while in Phoenix.

Why?

If I am told that I am going to pay for their "runner" to get my part, I am going to have him get other things, like do my shopping at Wal-Mart.

Sorry streak, I wouldn't bother with them at all. Take it to the dealer or find another shop. On the freon thing, I would see what the AZ AG has to say about that, that seems to be a bit fraudulent.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you choose to patronize a business that has overcharged you, because your 'policy' is to give everyone '3 strikes', then you have no grounds for complaint when you were overcharged two more times - you knew what you could expect.
To answer the question: yep, I'd trust them - to pad the bill. And I'd have the work done elsewhere.
See, I'm not as fair as you - I give folks just one chance to take advantage, and no more.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Like any place, they could get me once, but it would be the last. Even if I had to pay more somewhere else.
It is a principle thing.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Update: Although we were told there would be no manager in until Monday morning that had authority to do anything regarding our complaint, we learned there was in fact a general manager on duty (Sunday) that could. I arranged a meeting and my wife and I expressed our concerns and discontent with the way they choose to do business. This person along with another lower level manager listened to everything we had to say without interuption or arguement. The manager then repeatedly expressed their appreciation for our years of patronizing Danny's and stated that we are valued customers that they would hate to loose. We were given a free premium truck and trailer wash valued at almost the same amount we are disputing on the bill. Copies of our bill were made and notations marked on the copies that the manager will take to the owner Monday morning. We will also be speaking with her in the morning to see how all is progressing.

This was handled in a professional manner as I would have expected from Danny's, and nothing less. Thus far we feel a genuine effort to win back our business is occurring here. We will see when we speak with the owner.

Last edited:

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
If you choose to patronize a business that has overcharged you, because your 'policy' is to give everyone '3 strikes', then you have no grounds for complaint when you were overcharged two more times - you knew what you could expect.
To answer the question: yep, I'd trust them - to pad the bill. And I'd have the work done elsewhere.
See, I'm not as fair as you - I give folks just one chance to take advantage, and no more.

Point well made. But, I did not state my policy is to give everyone three strikes, and I only stated that I was over charged once, that being for the universal joint.

Are they taking advantage of their customers? Or are they using business practices that aren't the norm and badly thought out? I can and don't claim either,only state that I question their charges at this time.

With all that Danny's has to offer us, plus the fact that we like so many of the employees that work there, and we enjoy laying over there very much influenced our choice to not pull the plug so quickly. I'm sure if they had less to offer, maybe our approach to the first or second repair bill would have been different. In Danny's case, based on the original questionable billing amounts which were small as compared to the more recent bill, we felt it worth the risk to give them the third chance before coming to a conclusion.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Streak
Don't take this as a personal slam but you are letting it go because of emotion.

I wouldn't have accepted anything short of cash and it would have to more than just what you gave them as overcharges as compensation for your time and effort to correct their gouging.

A wash, even a superduper special tire lickn' wash shows me that they don't give two craps about your patronage as a 'loyal' customer.

Maybe waiving the labor charges for the next two visits would be fair or 5 times the amount of the overcharge but not a $20 (their cost) wash.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Streak
Don't take this as a personal slam but you are letting it go because of emotion.

I wouldn't have accepted anything short of cash and it would have to more than just what you gave them as overcharges as compensation for your time and effort to correct their gouging.

A wash, even a superduper special tire lickn' wash shows me that they don't give two craps about your patronage as a 'loyal' customer.

Maybe waiving the labor charges for the next two visits would be fair or 5 times the amount of the overcharge but not a $20 (their cost) wash.

Greg,

Your comment is in no way a personal slam (or taken as such) because you chose to word it in a professional manner. That is appreciated!

You are correct as there is in part emotion influencing our decision. That's not always a bad thing. As for the wash, regardless of their cost, we believe it was a "good faith effort" on their part to show we do care. Afterall, they did not have to offer us that, but they did. They still had to pay the cost of water, chemicals, wages for the five man crew that spent an hour cleaning us up to near show quality. I believe that should account for something. And don't forget, we will be meeting with the owner today for possible refunds on the bills above and beyond the superduper tire lick'n wash. LOL Yes they did do all of the tires.

Will post the outcome, and yes if they don't make good one the repair bills, we WILL be done with them!!!

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Update:

We spoke to management yesterday and were told that in the future when we provide our own "captured" Kenworth parts that Danny's would not normally have in their parts stock, we will no longer be charged the driver supplied parts surchange. We were told this policy had been placed in effect because of so many drivers providing their own parts that Danny's regularly had in stock, thus they were loosing revenue on parts inventory and sales. As a business person myself, I can understand that.

As for the freon charge: this was a policy already in effect when the current manager took over. This policy is now being reviewed and subject to change soon. We will touch base with them after their meeting to discuss this. I do feel that they understand the error in this policy and feel confident that they will change it.

At this time using their shop in the future is still up for consideration. We feel that they are trying to correct this situation with us.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So ...

you didn't get anything but excuses and a wash?

the inventory thing is bs. They don't "lose" money on the parts owners provide through their inventory not being used, the lose money through the lack of 40% they make on the markup - too bad. It seems to be funny, when people bring their own parts, it shifts the problems if there is a defective part back onto the owner, not the shop. Oh yea... defective part that they put in my truck, it is the shop should eat the labor on it, not me.

I keep saying we are a captive group, at the mercy of these idiots. Maybe if more people would fight these things, it would be a better place. Maybe the AZ AG's office of consumer affairs should know about this?

So it is on my never to go to list.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"We were told this policy had been placed in effect because of so many drivers providing their own parts that Danny's regularly had in stock, thus they were loosing revenue on parts inventory and sales."

That's what overpriced parts will get ya. It's called competition.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It could also be a case of drivers anticipating the need for the parts to be fetched from elsewhere, [as so often happens], with the attendant [excessive] charges.
At least they were willing to offer something to satisfy your complaint, which is more than some would do.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
At least they were willing to offer something to satisfy your complaint, which is more than some would do.

Exactly my point Cheri!

Danny's did not have to do anything, I'm just one customer, but they did. To loose my business would do nothing to hurt them financially. Yet they felt one customer is important enough to right a wrong so that customer will come back. Why? Maybe they care.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
That's what overpriced parts will get ya. It's called competition.

The only time we have experienced what we believe to be overpricing of parts at this location was regarding the steering column universal joint. Any time we have had an "in stock" part used here, their prices have been comparable to their competitors like Petro, TA, Flying J Care, Speedco etc. Plus when comparing their parts cost to Kenworth Non Captive parts, the markup difference has been worth the cost verses the long waits at dealer's shops. You choose convenience over cost at times considering time is money. Including your own.

Also, waiting for the much slower less expensive vender is not always as cost effective as the quicker slightly more expensive vender that offers comparable service. So why do your expedite customers pay more to use your truck on a non-special needs load rather than the more affordable common carrier that can also move thier freight from point a-b?

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Those non expedite runs are the ones with the bigger discounts.Over the years I've found,even though the garage may cost more per hour,in the long run,they take less time to do the work,therefore bottom line ,I've paid less to have the job done.This isn't true all the time,but many times.The garages I like to use,use the flat rate manual.Then I know going in, what its going to cost me to fix what ever I'm there for.,