Would you still do this job if you were paid by the hour?

ireland

Seasoned Expediter
I saw a news story while on layover in Missouri. The story was about discussions in Washington about paying truck drivers by the hour because it would make the highways safer. What do you think?

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I saw a news story while on layover in Missouri. The story was about discussions in Washington about paying truck drivers by the hour because it would make the highways safer. What do you think?

I think most people in washington are stupid

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I think most people in washington are stupid

Unfortunately they're not stupid. They're smart & they're crooks. They keep stealing our $$$. We keep letting em do it. All we do is call em a few names & they keep ripping us off. They're not the ones who are stupid.

Basically a politician in DC lives like a king & for the most part the worst thing he's got to deal w/ is being the butt of a joke on Jay Leno or what have ya. This is provided they didn't kill anyone, get caught cheating on their wife or what have ya. Generally they've got it made. Stupid people don't get themselves in that position of power.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
all depends would have to be at least $25.00 to start
and if you have hazmat that would be more
plus anything over 40 hours would be over time
and d time would be extra
and about would be for the driver if he was o/o
and for the truck would be at least a $200 aday
also if had a refer that would be more to

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
all depends would have to be at least $25.00 to start
and if you have hazmat that would be more
plus anything over 40 hours would be over time
and d time would be extra
and about would be for the driver if he was o/o
and for the truck would be at least a $200 aday
also if had a refer that would be more to

Wow, geo already has us unionized.:D

If I was paid for all the time I have spent in the shop I would be rich, but expedited freight by nature does not lend itself to hourly pay like regular scheduled freight.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure if over 40 hours would be overtime. I worked a job on the river in Memphis that paid overtime after the first 72 hours in a week. 24 hours on 24 off. On call when off.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
It doesn't really matter how people call your pay, it still comes down to doing the math do determine if a load is really profitable. You know how much time it will take you to do the load, how many miles the load is, and what it's going to cost you to do it. You know what they're paying you, so you can figure out how much of a profit you're going to get.

Here's my take though. I know that if the traffic is flowing well and I don't waste too much time, I can do a 650 mile run in 10 hours in a van. If you figure van freight paying on average $1 a mile to the driver, give or take a few cents depending on the company, that comes out to around $65 an hour. Does anyone really believe that owner operators would get that much per hour?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i've talked to some of the local drivers that are company driver and they say there getting $125 a day that is not very much

look at what auto workers get
dod civilains get
and the shipyard workers get
we should not get any less
we are skilled at what we do
so we should not sale our sleves short

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, an hour is an hour whether you are on detention or moving down the road so pay for detention time doesn't factor in if you're being paid by the hour.

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
i've talked to some of the local drivers that are company driver and they say there getting $125 a day that is not very much

look at what auto workers get
dod civilains get
and the shipyard workers get
we should not get any less
we are skilled at what we do
so we should not sale our sleves short

You Had to ASK.

Auto workers I agree. Dod Civilains Depending on Grade GS & WG 4,5,6,6,8,9, 10 Emm so so. GS & WG 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Now they get it good.

Shipyard workers well welll well wrong. When the ships are in they be working yup but 22 bucks an hour realy isnt much cause soon as the works done they get laid off till the next ship come in. Oh Ya Dont forget about he Big Rif the service had During the Clinton and Bush Sr. Years. Ok Not very many ships left in Norlolk or in CA or Florida for that matter.

If they were to pay by the hour. Read My Lips NO!!!!!!!!!!

1. Wouldnt make enough to survive out here. Not with 3 kids a mother in Law and A Wife to support. & my 150lb German Shepard.

Now with that said maybe its now completey clear why I call about runs and wanting to work. I got alot on my plate. Along with Goals as well.

Paid by the hour?? Thats funney. Maybe if I was a City Driver, and went home every night like on TV Ha HA but not in Expedited work.
Get Serious.

Last edited:

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
That's one BIG dog, no wonder you need a lot of money.

Hey greg ever see the movie Rocky where he goes running in Philadelphia hmm
well If you can pic that.
Now You know how it is in Bad News New Port News VA in Court House Green Area.

That why I gots a Big Doggie for the wife Kids & mother In Law when Im gone.

Never used to be that way. In 1991 it was all Retired eldery People but that all change

When they built the Retirement home and the Realtors came in and bought up the properties for their Portfoleys and then Sectioned 8 them out.
Hmm interesting isnt.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
My first job out of truck driving school,was union,and paid me by the computer which ever paid higher,miles or hours.I worked for a private carrier,we were on a 60 hour week,and got paid overtime after 8 hours on duty.Needless to say,I worked 15 hours a day,4 days a week,and made over $700 every week for just 4 days work.Back in 1977,700 bucks a week was big money,especially for 4 days work.As we all know,good things always come to and end.oh and union scale was 9.32 per hour and 23 cpm.
I worked for a company that paid me 29% of their gross.
I learned then it wasn't how far you drove,but how much you could make,yes and that's why I decided to be on a percentage contract.On percentage,we had no pay for dead head,down time,loading or unloading,but we could pick pur loads,where mile and hour drivers couldn't.
The truck I drove averaged !.20 all miles,loaded and empty,and my 29% was higher than scale for the miles and hour guys.
Knowing most trucking companies,they will pay their company drivers the cheapest way out,if your going to succeed you have to work at it. Just one other thing,if the load i was just offered doesn't cancel (happened twice already)takes me back to Ohio,and will give me an 8000 dollar week

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Yh'a ,well why not .
lets all be Gov. workers ,
in the name of safety ofcource ,
and the heck with free competition ,
they'll tell us what to do , and how mach we allow to make .
we will have very little insensitive to do any good job .
and will never have the money to buy what we haul ,
capitalism ...gone .

but , hay Safety first .

& as to the question on hand :
NO !!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Wll turn into a "the do'ers doing for the can'ts".

On a side not, Is Marvin the new name today, or is it still IRT?