working for multiple companies, which are the good one and bad ones???

Greg336

Active Expediter
I'm hoping for some honest answers. I have been expediting for 5 years now and so far I have been through multiple companies and have yet to find one or more that can keep me happy. I would like to be able to work for 2 to 3 companies at once and am looking for suggestions for good companies that pay on time and pay decent rates? Any suggestions? Thank You.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What were the reasons you were not happy with the previous carriers? For an up to date opinion on running for multiple carriers please read any one of the several "I got screwed out of thousands of dollars by LRT" threads. The reasons for not being happy at a previous company should be known and recognized so that you don't jump into the same situation.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm hoping for some honest answers. I have been expediting for 5 years now and so far I have been through multiple companies and have yet to find one or more that can keep me happy. I would like to be able to work for 2 to 3 companies at once and am looking for suggestions for good companies that pay on time and pay decent rates? Any suggestions? Thank You.

In your opinion, Please define "decent rates" ....what kind of rates are you looking for to keep you happy...

guido4475

Not a Member
I would think that any company that allows owner-operators to be leased to several companies at once must not pay that well, or is not able to keep a driver busy enough to begin with, With them being the sole provider of freight... just sayin'..

Find ONE good company, and stick with them,through thick and thin.Be loyal.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My experience trying to work two companies didn't work well. Company #2 only worked me sporadically, and as it turned out didn't appear to have operating authorities. At least, in six months I never could get DOT or MC numbers out of them, not even online, which makes me suspect they didn't have them at all. I'm still with the first company I signed on with, a year and a half after signing on. At least they have their paperwork straight, and while I had to have my own magnetic signs made at least they have the information needed to make it all legal.

Greg336

Active Expediter
Ok here is what has happened you me, I have been with companies that either I could get a lot of miles with little pay $.75/mile or less or companies that payed good $1.00 to $1.15 plus the fsc with little miles. I was with Load 1. I made a mistake by leaving them and would like to go back if they would have me. About a year and a half ago, their freight was slowing down and when I got to a point where I was only getting 1 to 2 short loads a week and then 1 load in 9 days I decided to leave only to find out that the grass WASN'T any greener on the other side at the time. I have bee through 3 companies since then and its still terrible out there. I was in a 2006 Sprinter 3500 up until March of 2011 and now am in a 2011 Ford E-350 cube van. I liked the sprinter but it was always breaking down for one reason or another, yes I kept up with all of the normal maintance, by the time I finally sold it I had $26,000 worth of repairs which included motels and car rentals into it.

I would like to find a company that could pay me $1.00 or more per mile, with or with out a fsc, low dh miles and get at least 1000 miles a week. Is that asking to much??????????

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would like to find a company that could pay me $1.00 or more per mile, with or with out a fsc, low dh miles and get at least 1000 miles a week. Is that asking to much??????????
Oh, you should check out a company called Load One.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which ever you choose make sure to ask if they have whiney Canadian O/OP .....:p

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ummm??? Might want to consider driving something other than a van. 26k for a van repair?
Have to wonder if it was gold plated? If not, that would have found its way to the closest pond.

Instead of a "penny in my pond" I would have a van. :eek:

Last edited:

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Dave- I think he meant 26k in total repairs. That also I believe, includes motels he had to stay at while his van was getting repaired.

As to the original poster- For a very few multi companies work out. For most, it doesn't. Some of the companies who will let you work for others don't pay you. There's threads on a few of them. One of em, their owner (or someone high in the chain) came on here & started blasting people. Why he would rant at others when he wasn't paying his drivers is beyond me.

Like someone said above, your best bet is to probably find one company that fits.

Even then, no company is perfect 100% of the time. I've gotten to the point where I never ask how much something pays. I recently ended up taking a run of 814 miles (all miles) for $422 because I didn't ask. DOH!! My fault there. Overall a good company, but even good companies have some less than great runs sometimes.

From my experience you're more than likely better off with one company. If you're going to go w/ multiple companies anyway, I'd stay away from T&K and also Whirlwind. No sense running for free or payment 6 months later.

Greg336

Active Expediter
I used to work for Load 1 and have been trying to get back with them but from what I have been hearing they haven't been hiring vans for over a year now. Is this true or not???

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ummm??? Might want to consider driving something other than a van. 26k for a van repair? <br />
Have to wonder if it was gold plated? If not, that would have found its way to the closest pond.<br />
<br />
Instead of a &quot;penny in my pond&quot; I would have a van. :eek:

No cargo vans anytime and no printers at this time.

sent from my FISHER PRICE Z100 using EO forums