Winter Fronts

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Just wondering how many of ya'll out there use them and do you think it is worth having one and why.
I personally have one on my D-max van and I use it at 34 degree's and below, and I notice the engine runs better when it's real cold out. I like to think it helps my fuel mileage by keeping the engine at proper operating temp. when it's real cold out.
So I vote for yes it works what do ya'll think:D

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You don't see them nearly as much as you used to. My MBE 900 maintains normal operating temperature even in very cold weather, so I don't need one.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say they'd be good for a Sprinter because of the low idle....city driving the operating temp takes a dive, highway is ok. But you stop at a ship/rec the temp drops like a rock.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My trucks seem to run at the same water temp year round. Where I notice a big difference is in oil/trans/diff temps and I don't know that a winterfront would help those.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We dont' use a winter front and don't believe it is necessary. Like Leo's truck, ours runs at a constant engine temp year 'round, regardless of outside weather conditions.

Perpaps off topic a tad, I can also say that cold weather driving in a Volvo is vastly superior to cold weather driving in a Freightliner, at least the ones we drove.

In sub-zero weather in our Volvo, we can sit comfortably in the cab in shirt sleeves and stocking feet. The cab is toasty warm throughout. In Freightliners, we wore jackets and used duct tape to cover the places where cold air flowed in. It is a huge comfort difference that we greatly appreciate on long trips through sub-zero weather.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
yea for some reason my van won't holds it opt. temp. when going down the highway at 58 or 60mph when it is below 34 or so. I Know if I were to drive 68-70 it will hold it's temp without a problem till I slow down. I have had my themostats checked for operation and they say they are working properly. I guess at 58-60 I am not really putting a load on the engine so it won't warm up all the way. I know this van has a really big radiator compared to a gasser so that might be why it is cooling down so fast. You other guy's with D-max's should know that there are 2 themostats the 1st opens at 180 degrees and the second opens at about 192-195 or so. and when it's below 30 degrees outside my van without the winter front and driving 58-60 will only heat up to like 170 so even with both themosatats closed it still can't get up to proper opt. temp. until I speed up to 68-70 or put the front on. or pull a good size hill with a 1000lbs load on the back.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
in my case i dont run a winter front,at blow zero my temps still stay good,guess its the electronic engines,same with winter fuel additive,dont use that either,unless i know the truck is going to be shut off in below zero weather.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm guessing they do have the extra radiators, at least in my trucks, and that's what keeps the temps that low. I may look into the winterfronts and see if that helps.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On the big stuff, winter fronts dissappeared due to the almost universal use of air to air aftercoolers. If they don't have fresh air the engine will run like crap and smoke (fail to meet EPA std's).

Some light stuff (eg Duramax) come with a winter front that they specifically tell you not to use if you are towing/hauling because of the aftercooler.

If you use one, make sure it has a small opening over where the center of the rad fan is. If a fan blade has no air and then runs into air where your front has an opening (or your chunk of cardboard ends) it will flex. it might break off or most likely, hurt the bearings in your fan drive or waterpump.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I would say they'd be good for a Sprinter because of the low idle....city driving the operating temp takes a dive, highway is ok. But you stop at a ship/rec the temp drops like a rock.

Ken,

I take it yours did not come equipped with the Heater Booster ?

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
What does a Heater booster do? When we bought our truck the person
we bought from said it has a fuel heater? I can't remember exactly what
it was called.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On the Sprinter, the Heater Booster keeps the engine warm in very cold weather, and allows it to warm up and reach operating temperature quicker, thereby allowing you to heat the cabin quicker. At temperatures above 41° F the Heater Booster is not usually needed. But at lower temperatures, the Heater Booster will keep the engine coolant to between 167° F and 185° F.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you use one, make sure it has a small opening over where the center of the rad fan is. If a fan blade has no air and then runs into air where your front has an opening (or your chunk of cardboard ends) it will flex. it might break off or most likely, hurt the bearings in your fan drive or waterpump.

It sounds like the best then might be to have one that covers the perimeter and leaves a smaller central opening than without.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
yep my winter fronts have 2 openings on the front I keep them open all the time while driving. I only close them when the truck is ice cold so it can go thru its warm up cycle faster before I drive. good advise about keeping them open when you are working the truck with a good size load.:D