Windshield washer solution

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
OK, it's wayyyy below freezing out here. What do you have for advice about keeping your windshield washer solution from freezing? Is there any special additive out there? I always try to buy the -20 or better solution, but it still freezes.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
OK, it's wayyyy below freezing out here. What do you have for advice about keeping your windshield washer solution from freezing? Is there any special additive out there? I always try to buy the -20 or better solution, but it still freezes.

I add some rubbing alcohol to the washer fluid it works great. I get the 97% alcohol solution at Wal-Mart. You don't need to add much, about 8-16 oz. should do it.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I add about 4 shots to a Gallion and it works good Plus it gets the road grime off easier

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I use the Rain-X washer fluid, and have spent over nights in -15 and no problem.... so far.....i'll be picking up some rubbing alcohol tomorrow.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya don't need no additives...I use the Prestone Anti-Ice -40 from wally world and even the no name brand @ -30 will not freeze...I just came from 4 days in ND and Minn....had no problems...alchol will cause premature blade wear...as it is a solvent.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Ya don't need no additives...I use the Prestone Anti-Ice -40 from wally world and even the no name brand @ -30 will not freeze...I just came from 4 days in ND and Minn....had no problems...alchol will cause premature blade wear...as it is a solvent.

The anti- ice washer fluids all have alcohol in them. You should change out your wiper blades at least every six months anyway.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
6 month no way i can't stand streaky windows 3 sets a year min . a new set when winter begins and a new set in jan ussually,with a new one in spring that one may make it to fall but might not. i probably use way more washer fluid then most do as well

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I use the Rain-X washer fluid, and have spent over nights in -15 and no problem.... so far.....i'll be picking up some rubbing alcohol tomorrow.....

I second the Rain-X washer fluid, great stuff
Also carry a safety pin and clean out nozzles when needed, you can also aim or re-aim the nozzles where you like them

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We just carry an extra set of wipers and change them out as needed. We do not like streaky windows and this always happens on the drivers side.

We also use the -40 windshield wiper fluid and have never had it freeze.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
We just carry an extra set of wipers and change them out as needed. We do not like streaky windows and this always happens on the drivers side.

We also use the -40 windshield wiper fluid and have never had it freeze.

its amazing what a can of coke run over those old wiper blades will do,although these new blades made in mexico and china dont last near as long.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I like the new wiper blades that don't have any pressure points especially in snow and ice. They are kinda pricey though and don't last much longer than the regular wipers. I might run regular in the Spring and Summer and the pricey ones in the winter

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
its amazing what a can of coke run over those old wiper blades will do,although these new blades made in mexico and china dont last near as long.
I change my blades about every 3 months and I forgot about the coke trick was gonna replace mine today but the coke took care of it. see how long the coke works.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i just switched to the rain x latitude blades for car and truck. nice wipe job. also if you buy 2 there is a $15 free gas card from shell you send away for.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've always added alcohol in the winter, and a few drops of dish soap in the summer - never heard of adding Coke. It sounds like a "you know you're a driver, when the windshield gets alcohol & Coke instead of the driver" line, lol. :D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I've always added alcohol in the winter, and a few drops of dish soap in the summer - never heard of adding Coke. It sounds like a "you know you're a driver, when the windshield gets alcohol & Coke instead of the driver" line, lol. :D

I think but am not positive
you just pour the coke on the windsheild, cleans the bugs an gunk off good. I don't think you add it to the resevoir. It would go flat in there anyways. Just don't want you to add a can of coke in there. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, an old firefighter trick used by my Cousin
newspaper is great for cleaning windows. So don't waste money on paper towels or cloth towels. The only downside is your fingers will turn black, but the windshield will be sparkling clean.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks Dakota - I should have worded that better. Not even in one of my "blonde relapse" moments would I have poured the Coke into the fluid, lol.
PS that newspaper tip is one that frugal housewives have used for many years, too, because it doesn't leave lint behind. :)

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yea your pour the coke on the windshield, and I took a rag with coke on it, and clean the Blade, it works wonders on it.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I picked up a couple of gallons of "Nascar Advantage" (must be specially formulated for the winter circuit) All-Season Washer Fluid with De-icer at Canadian Tire when I when in Windsor on Friday .... supposed to be good down to -49°C ..... all I know is that it didn't freeze up when I was coming down US 24 to Fort Wayne from Toledo last night and the temps hit -18°F ....