Wi-Fi antenna

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is anybody using a wi-fi antenna to improve their wi-fi signal reception? I own a cargo van and have recently purchased a Sony notebook computer with mobile Centrino technology blah blah blah. What I would like to do is get free internet access. Would a wi-fi antenna improve my siganl or chances of getting a signal? If so what type of antenna would you recommend. I am quite happy with a stationary signal source ie. McDonalds, Starbucks, Super 8 etc. Anywhere I can jump on for free.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not positive but I think Wilson Cellular makes an antenna for this application.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Is anybody using a wi-fi antenna to improve their wi-fi signal reception?

I was, a magnet mount style.

I own a cargo van and have recently purchased a Sony notebook computer with mobile Centrino technology blah blah blah. What I would like to do is get free internet access. Would a wi-fi antenna improve my siganl or chances of getting a signal?

Yes it would but if you have a laptop with a 'built in' antenna like mine, you have to either get another card with a hookup for an external antenna or build (or get) an adaptor that attaches to the back of the laptop screen (that is where the antenna is for the built in card). I have only seen one maybe two laptops that have a place for an external antenna.

If so what type of antenna would you recommend. I am quite happy with a stationary signal source ie. McDonalds, Starbucks, Super 8 etc. Anywhere I can jump on for free.

I can't recommend anything but Larsen. I have a multipurpose antenna from them and trimmed it to be used with WiFi. It is what they call an NMO or Motorola mount.I got that type of mount because I have a huge box full of them and will never run out. but I do think Wilson and a few others make antennas and don't forget eBay.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I bought a special Wi-fi card that is Hi-powered and an Antenna to go with it. Didn't do squat. An antenna might be able to let you see a weaker signal and send a signal BUT there is no way to "boost" the incoming so if you are getting a weak signal your not going to be able keep the connection up an antenna is only going let you see even weaker ones. Get a EVDO card and have internet anywhere, you can get the cards free and $60/month. Way worth it with all the layover.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
I use a cingular air card with a wilson external antenna, I have recieved awsome results and when signals are really low, I hook up the wilson signal booster (almost 300 bucks) and it also improves greatly.

If you are using built in wireless, wilson makes an adapter that will connect to the back of the screen and should improve your signal.

one thing to remember is the wilson products will not help you if you are using wi-fi service they are for cell service cards, but come to think of it I dont know why they would not work for the wi-fi part?!