WHY!

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
It's a simple question... WHY IN THE "BEEP" do we need to provide details of our entire life history AND provide proof of such when we go for a driving job? I've been thru 3 trucking companies and everyone needs proof of what I did for the last 10 years including where I worked, how long, why I left and how to contact them. Now I know this is a DOT thing but WHY! Isn't proof of citsenship and CDL enough? Us as trucker are put threw more scrutniy than any other job. Dang a doctor can work 60 hours non stop and then go do surgery w/o any questions. Any thoughts on this?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
It's not a trucking company thing, it's an employer thing. Your work history, credit history, driving history and criminal/non-criminal background all provide a prospective employer a measure of your character and potential as the type of person with which they would like to have on the payroll.

Most likely, you would want similar info for a prospective employee of yours.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Well I understand that but when you go into trucking it's just insane. I had to provide 1099's, notarized letters of reffrence AND my business license to prove I was self-employed. If I go to a normal job just saying I was employed by myself from such and such is fine.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>It's not a trucking company thing, it's an employer thing.
>Your work history, credit history, driving history and
>criminal/non-criminal background all provide a prospective
>employer a measure of your character and potential as the
>type of person with which they would like to have on the
>payroll.
>
>Most likely, you would want similar info for a prospective
>employee of yours.
I believe it is a D.O.T. requirement to make inquiries of past employment and keep records of those inquiries on file . I have heard that if you run on your own authority you have to inquire past employers about yourself .

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
it was setup to stop the bad drivers from moving from copany to company along with proof of all drug testing in the feds atempt to make saffer drivers out there but companys are useing it to control us
as they will in all employment sectors in the us till we go back to living in company homes buying from company store going to company doctor and at payday we will owe company more than what we made
:'(

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Not all employers run potential employees through the sifter to see what shakes out.

I don't believe in the notion that if anything bad is discovered the potential candidate is toast.

Given the times and how some outfits have been laying off staff by the thousands, it is not unusual to find someone unemployed for a period of time or with credit problems.

Fact is, if one doesn't have a job... finding one is the first step towards resolution of most credit issues.

One has to humanize the whole process and listen to each person's story about how they got to where they presently are... some won't change, others have changed and have a track record to prove it, and others arrived where they are through no direct fault of their own.

I would give # 2 & 3 a chance. The #1 situation is a little harder to call and requires a judgment call, perhaps the person just needs a chance to get starts... then again... perhaps nothing will change and the person will continue down their wayward path.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I started driving truck in the 70's,when the trucking companies were going broke from deregulation
at that time the aplictions wanted to know your experiance,and you would put down the out of business companies as referance,as there were no way to check references
now the dot has gotten smarter and with trying to keep our roads safer,this is why the back ground checks
in many cases,do to freight being hauled,a more intense check will be involved
Also,carriers feel its very expensive to put a new driver on,and if driver shows moving job to job,carriers are not likely to hire them

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Magic Man;

Drivers of Commercial Motor Vehicles - meaning those vehicles that have a GVW greater than 26,001 pound or more, have three axles or more, or that transport placardable quantities of hazardous materials are required to provide ten years employment history, accounting for any gaps in their employment longer than 30 days. Drivers of Non-CMV's are required to list three years employment history. It is a DOT requirement.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Maybee Swift, Schenider, JB and the other big ones got this passsed in Congress to discourage the current drivers from ever leaving knowing that a good % have a very difficult time filling out any type of forms let alone ten years of employment history.

Just a thought.