Why not use a trailer with a van or pick up?

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
My e350 super duty has a trans cooler, power steering cooler, and oil cooler in addition to the oversized radiator. Temperatures remain nominal in the worst of conditions. I've pulled a few trailers for certain customers.... for a while a had this account in California where I would deliver security trailers to jobsites... was a pretty good paying gig. But that company folded up.... :(

fired at you from my Droideka

Brisco

Expert Expediter
hotshotters are doing this already, but like it was said in an earlier post, this requires a Class A CDL anytime you haul anything commercially with a pickup and trailer, van and trailer, etc.

this means scales and log books and DOT h.o.s., which is what most expedite companies want to avoid with their quicker and cheaper cargo vans.:)

Yup, youre right.

Partially Right.....

Anything over 10K in weight will always require running under HOS rules and LogBooking, but there is no "Class A" requirement for running all "Truck and Trailer", or "Van and Trailer" combination units when running commercially.

Probably 70-80% of the "RV Transporters" out there delivering Travel Trailers with 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks under these RV Transport companies Authority are retirees that do not have a CDL. I've got friend over on my Auto Board that used to run RV's who is now running with a Dodge MegaCab 3500 pulling a 3 car wedge trailer delivering cars throughout the eastern states (mainly Illinios, Missouri, and Florida) who does not have his CDL and has never had problems at scalehouses. He watches his loads and keeps his overall weight under 26K.

It's all in the overall weights one runs with when it comes to what class of CDL they need. We've had many discussions and controversies over this issue on several boards over the years. It does say this in the Class A requirement:

Class "A" CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.......

Some believe, as I have for years, that if your trailers GVWR is 10K or more, then you must have an "A" CDL whether you're loaded at 10K or not. But, I have been proven wrong many times with discussions amongst friends on the many boards I participate on. There are hundreds of guys out there running combo units, (1 ton truck with a 12,500 GVWR pulling 12K GVWR trailers), who do not have CDL's at all and are not getting hassled anywhere.

The "Hot Shot" guys you speak of that are running with their full blown Class A CDL are the guys who have their combo weights, truck and trailer, registered for 33-36K lbs. And, they run many loads in the 30K total weight range too. So Yes, their Class A's are required to run the weights they run.

I have ran many a trailer that has had GVWR's of 12-14K with my 11,200 GVWR Duallys with just my Class C CDL and have never been questioned at scalehouses about it.

So if any Van Driver here that is running under his own Authority wants to add a trailer to his set-up for more hauling capacity, don't let not having a Class A CDL set you back. Just make sure keep your total combination weight below the 26K mark. (Don't really believe there's a Van out there that could handle that type of weight anyway - above 10-12-15K)

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
Personally, I'm not a van guy. Plus, trailers make great static billboards when all lettered up. But Van is comfortable to ride all types of streets whereas trailers cannot be used in small streets. Hence, I would suggest to go for vans.

Last edited: