WHY ARE YOU GUYS NOT RUNNING LTL LOADS??????

offabit2001

Expert Expediter
Hey, there's alot of usefull info in here. Let me ask you guys something, being familiar with big trucks and being able to secure loads with common or contract authority, why is it that people aren't running more ltl freight. Yes it does take time to cordinate loads but has anyone checked 4 or 5 of the big load board sites, the sites that are geared more for Big trucks. I hound these boards often and there is alot of ltl freight out there. I think there is enough that you guys could stay busy all year around especially someone running under their own authority. Is expediting that much difference than running a 53' trailer??? Please let me know, I'm very interested in this side of the business.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I can count on one hand the times I´ve had multiple loads on my truck (d" unit). The only way they came thru were because I was heading in that direction and the frieght was sitting at a dock close to the interstate, ready to be loaded. In other words, waiting in priority mode for me to get there. The money was really good, so I thought I might try to do that more often. The first problem was finding a load that was close and with that kind of priority. Remember that you are under contract to your carrier, and using his authority, and insurance etc. If you commit to loadboard freight on a run, and you get held up because of that frieght, for any reason, you´re screwed. It´s not worth it in my book.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HI Louixo, If I'm not mistaken, I think offabit2001 didn't mean working for a company like fed-ex or conway-now. I think he means doing the board thing driving for yourself and working under your own authority. Am I right, offabit? Doing the LTL thing would be good to do in a Dunit, but hard in a van.

The other thing one doing this would have to worry about is getting paid, from all the brokers and/or companies that you would deliver for, or is there some iron-clad way to get around this, that I don't know about? Being out on the road finding loads would be hard enough let alone trying to run credit checks too. One way to do it would be to find a load or two or three going to point A and set up the returns all at the same time, before you leave for the trip, come home and do it all over again.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If your going to do it on your own, there is a (I think) red book of companies and brokers not to do business with. Check out WWW.OOIDA.com . I think they sell the book.
Randy

>HI Louixo, If I'm not mistaken, I think offabit2001 didn't
>mean working for a company like fed-ex or conway-now. I
>think he means doing the board thing driving for yourself
>and working under your own authority. Am I right, offabit?
>Doing the LTL thing would be good to do in a Dunit, but hard
>in a van.
>
>The other thing one doing this would have to worry about is
>getting paid, from all the brokers and/or companies that you
>would deliver for, or is there some iron-clad way to get
>around this, that I don't know about? Being out on the road
>finding loads would be hard enough let alone trying to run
>credit checks too. One way to do it would be to find a load
>or two or three going to point A and set up the returns all
>at the same time, before you leave for the trip, come home
>and do it all over again.
:)

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
Even though I am pulling a flatbed (for a friend) I always keep an eye open for LTL freight. I tell every broker that we have hauled with that I want to know when there is anything LTL at my destination that might be squeezed on. We have had to mention that the load must be off loaded under one hour of arrival or charged extra. That stinking Home Depot will kill ya if you don't put a burr under their saddles!
Mostly we have seen 8 and 10k loads from the V&FT lists. @ $1.06-$1.60/mile. Plus tarp pay & fuel diff.
It may be a hassel for some without an A/R clerk. But sometimes it just gets you to a better place to take dump and a nap! lol

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.