Who will buy the autos?

drivingmecrazy

Seasoned Expediter
I was thinking about the auto bail out- or if you prefer loan... the consumers of autos have been through possible foreclosure of home, job loss, more than likely bankruptsy-how will these people ever qualify for finance of a new auto? It usually takes 5 to 7 years to establish yourself after a major glitch in your credit, but really could take much longer these days with credit companies tightening up lending. And even with a drop of interest rate on morgage loans- its the same situation in that market. Even if you haven't been foreclosed on, or lost your job- consumer confidence is not very high acoss the board, no one wants to take on loans on big ticket items when they are not sure if they might get laid off, or for commission only jobs who have watched sales decline in all areas.
Eventually things will turn around but I just don't see that happening for quite sometime... so if these auto makers do get the money and do build a better car... wont they still just sit on car lots- if any dealers survive long enough to house these vechicles ?

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Last year around here the average car loan was $30,000 (bank figures). I think now you'll see that drop to the lower 20s or even less as people downsize and go for affordability. This means no SUVs, big pickup trucks or expensive cars.

Yes the banks are giving loans less but there are those companies out there that will loan the money almost to anyone. Of course at a high rate of interest.
Rob

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
today, 30g plus 10 more will enter the area of a chevy volt, that goes 40 miles on its full charge. that is the ultimate detroit joke.....yes we have a battery operated car but you can't get to work in it.

has anyone thought about melding the big 2.5 into the big one? pick the best of the cars offered and sell those?

instead of three companies, selling different models of the same small suv platform, just offer the saturn level, chevy level and the buick level.

take aim at an import like the civic and build an american car as good as the civic. being better would be a stretch right now.

determine which mid size will be the camry fighter in fit and finish.

when this company can build a j.d. powers award winning car on a continuing basis maybe the struggle will reverse.