Who posts these loads?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Why is it I see multiple posting for the same load, why, do these people list a load so many times, and you never get a reply from anyone, sometimes I have seen a load posted 3 or 5 times, same load, same zip code, miles, and weights, sometimes it may differ a little, but you know it's a repeat post. I also wonder for such a time sensitive marketplace, why the heck after a load is taken does it remain posted for hrs after its accepted, don't these people know what a delete key is?

you arrive at the shipping point, and look like an idiot, they want to know who your driving for, who they never heard of, they think, WTF is this guy a moron, or better yet, demand to see your pickup papers, like yea I carry a fax machine and a printer!
My other distress is the fact that everything is such a mystery, you have to demand the pickup number and who your picking up for a few times, while looking like an idiot in front of the shipper.too many hands in the pot I guess. "who ya driving for"? tell em, and it's like WHO? why cant information just be given out when you get the pickup. I'm not sure how it works for you and your pimp, but mine is like, hang on I'll call someone, who will call someone, who will call someone, and maybe in an hour your gonna get the correct info! I guess coming from the entertainment industry I should be used to kaos, but I'm not in that format, I need input, not hang on, we'll call ya back.
I'm painting my truck brown, and cutting out 2 eyes on the box, calling myself the unknown expediter!

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
As for leaving them on the board, "remove posted load" takes two clicks. Sometimes that's just WAY too much work. LOL!!

GoExpedite

Active Expediter
In order to keep the load posts 'fresh', the brokers keep re- posting. They are all competing to get the same load covered. And yes, it is a great idea to have an e-fax account & printer on truck. Did it all the time flatbedding as we pulled ALL our loads under own authority.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
too many hands in the pot I guess.
That's it right there! Way too many people involved in what was once a simple transaction between a shipper and a carrier. More people getting a slice of the pie; leaving a smaller slice for everyone, including the O/O.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
That's it right there! Way too many people involved in what was once a simple transaction between a shipper and a carrier. More people getting a slice of the pie; leaving a smaller slice for everyone, including the O/O.

I regularly haul loads that have 3 layers ahead of me. Most times two, but I see 3 on some. You're picking for X, but it could be under Y or Z also. And different brokers and 3PLs.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, that kind of answers my stupid question (see it here). I've seen something of the sort in Craigs List for local courier work. I had a suspicion something like this could be in the works, and how in heck you're supposed to make any money with fifty drivers competing for the same load, each with his own operating authorities and so on, is beyond me. I can't imagine this being anything other than getting the drivers to take on additional expenses on the same or less pay.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
3PLs and freight forwarders bring loads. But they don't do it for free. Neither do the non-asset brokers that the 3PLs pay to post the loads and mark up the bid rates. I imagine the asset/broker blended companies are pretty tired of the disparity between the rates they WANT for their trucks and the rates the other brokers are willing to pay for those trucks.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, that kind of answers my stupid question (see it here). I've seen something of the sort in Craigs List for local courier work. I had a suspicion something like this could be in the works, and how in heck you're supposed to make any money with fifty drivers competing for the same load, each with his own operating authorities and so on, is beyond me. I can't imagine this being anything other than getting the drivers to take on additional expenses on the same or less pay.

Can you pm me the advertisement you saw on craigslist. I think that is just a lazy carrier wanting the driver to do all the work while the owner sits back and takes a cut. You can be kicked off of Sylectus and other load boards for allowing your drivers to have login access to those boards.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I had a contract with two large expedite companies that allowed me to double broker their freight. Let me tell you, there's barely enough money it in when you are bidding on a load for one of your company trucks, let alone to re-broker it back out and then make a profit. I know of one broker agent on Sylectus that takes loads from one of the same larger companies that I used to get them from and re-brokers them back out all day and all night. He probably makes 100 bucks per load, which isn't all that bad, but those loads should be going straight to the carrier. As a broker the rule is that the more times a load is re-brokered out the less control you have on that load, and the higher the chance it is that the load is going to be delivered late, or never delivered at all.

I still get emails from Active on Demand about how most double brokered loads have a two times higher failure rate than loads that are only brokered one time. NLM just sent out an email about how they are no longer tolerating double brokering. They are going to start terminating carriers from their load board if they are caught double brokering freight. In my opinion the only time a load should be double brokered is if you have written permission from the shipper, broker, or 3PL, or when one of your trucks brake down and the load has to be recovered in order to meet your deliver obligations - of which that should be communicated to the shipper, broker, or 3PL that you are moving the shipment for.

Like I said, some carriers have written permission from the 3PL to double broker the load if they don't have one of their own trucks in the area to cover; but most do not and double broker loads in an unethical manner. I know of one carrier that double brokers loads all of the time and they don't even have broker authority. Highly illegal. But they always pay on time so no one complains about them. There is a lot of shady stuff that goes on out there. I don't think anything is going to change anytime soon. It's just the way things are. There are always going to be a lot of hands in the pot. Heck, someone just bought my expedite company and another hand is going right in the pot this week. lol.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is it right there. Most loads that are posted numerous times are by design to get the lowest bid. They say "oops we forgot to remove it".......but that is hardly the case.
As for double brokering, goes on all the time.
Like I have said before, "The closer you are to the origin of the freight, the more profitable it is".
There my penny in the pond.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Active on Demand sometimes has loads posted for hours. You have to give them up to 45 minutes to award the load sometimes. Other times they will give you the load right away. It's all a crap shoot. I just seems like the professionalism is being priced right out of the industry these days. I think shippers and brokers should pay the carriers and drivers a little bit better so that they can get better service. But if Russian dudes with a box truck can deliver on time, I guess that's all that matters in the end.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'm guessing that sometimes they're using a lot of the 45 mins to gather quotes, but most of the time I thing they (and many or most) brokers are giving their customers ample time to get a few of their own quotes. Maybe.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I liked that one day when the same load popped up on Sylectus posted by two different carriers and also on the Panther Expedite broker board. The first carrier that had it awarded it to me because I had a good relationship with them. The second carrier that had it called me directly and told me that the load is mine if they get it from the source. Then my driver (multi-carrier driver at the time) got the load from the third company that had it posted because I didn't have a good enough reputation with the third company at the time. It was pretty crazy to have almost been awarded the same load by three different carriers. But in the end, only one of the carriers got that load which was probably a UPS load.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm guessing that sometimes they're using a lot of the 45 mins to gather quotes, but most of the time I thing they (and many or most) brokers are giving their customers ample time to get a few of their own quotes. Maybe.

Here is a rap quote I came up with after I received too many of those "your bid has not been selected!"

"Just because you're a member of Sylectus doesn't mean your bid will be selected!" lol

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I see it a lot with loads from C.H. Robinson. I'll get an email from them and then within a minute three different people will have it posted on Sylectus.