Who Pays?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
This is from the other side of the fence.
When you are dispatched to a pickup, don't you get the information as to who the customer is, where the consignee is, what you're picking up, etc?
A truck shows up at a facility which houses numerous businesses, without an appointment; driver doesn't know which unit he wants, which business he wants, who the actual customer is, who the consignee is, the address of consignee, contact names, nothing. He only knows the name of the carrier which his own carrier agreed to pick up the load for. He is unable to get any further information from his own dispatch. His own dispatch is unable to get any further information from the contracting carrier.
Driver ends up leaving empty handed.
Next day, third party calls facility to ask why driver was sent away empty handed, says the truck is being dispatched once again and expects the facility to foot the bill for the dry run from the previous day.
Gotta love it!

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
This situation is very confusing as stated in the post and needs to be clarified more. On the surface it sounds like the driver was dispatched and due to lack of information ended up with a dry run...and thus should be paid for it.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Why in the world would you move your equipment WITHOUT basic information about who, where, what?? I understand the need to try and get a step ahead of the competition out there, however, when you gamble and loose, well.....you loose. Just the cost of doing business. On the bright side, you LEARNED what NOT to do in that situation. Jes part of yer continuing education tuition.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
This is not too far from being exactly what happened to me in N.C. on two different loads from who???? PII. I had only address of cutomer and name of a business (which was not at address I had). Only difference is that I eventually did a lot of leg work and found the customer on my own. And did get loaded. Even then, I was sent to wrong consignee address. I was headed to georgia with load when they finally called and wanted it delivered to Mississippi. But, PII did pay dearly for it.

I could not believe that PII had so little info for driver. Then the dispatcher was about as sorry as they come. Instead of trying to find more info for me, he wanted me to get out and go door to door to find the customer. I refused (but actually did it). I then called my dispatch and told them I was there. I would not talk to PII dispatcher anymore.

So, Yes, it happens!!!!

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
This situation is very confusing as stated in the post and needs to be clarified more. On the surface it sounds like the driver was dispatched and due to lack of information ended up with a dry run...and thus should be paid for it.

Ah, sorry it is so confusing.. I was going to try to explain it more fully, but it's just too dang long and complicated.. so many parties involved..

I am speaking from the 'other side', which is 'the facility', as opposed to the trucking company. If I were the trucking company, I can't see dispatching a truck without any information for the driver. Nevermind that it was to a large facility with numerous businesses on site.

No contact with the facility; no complete address obtained, no contact name, no shipper company name, no consignee name or address, etc.

Of course driver wants to be compensated for a dry run.... he's in the middle of being told by his own carrier to pick up and being sent away for having zero information.

Who pays driver? His own carrier? The carrier who contracted with driver's carrier to pick up the shipment? The shipper who arranged for the first carrier? The 3rd party facility? The consignee?

It's too convoluted to tell exactly where the communication breakdown(s) occurred, so it's not exactly a question that can be answered on here.

Just sayin... if everyone along the way would look after their own little piece of the picture, life would be so much smoother... and of course, less interesting!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Amen, Pjjjjjj.
My penny in the pond is the dispatching carrier should pay for the dry run, then possibly charge someone else, if the fault can be pinned somewhere else. If not, as XO6 says, it's a lesson learned.
The driver should have had full & complete info before departure, but I know I've gone off without it, when dispatch promised to relay more ASAP.

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
I wouldn't even start the engine without knowing the precise info on the shipper. There are times when the exact address of the consignee might be uncertain (going to a warehouse instead of the main plant), but the city & state should be available. Sounds like the dispatcher didn't have his act together and yes, the carrier pays for these kinds of screwups.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Real simple

Dispatch should have insisted they got all that info in order to pass onto you before you were even dispatched on the load.

You should get a dry run, even if your carrier has to go out of pocket. Serves them right for not doing their jobs.