Which formds do I need for my drivers

henboy1

Expert Expediter
I have never done this.II now have 2 driever that I will be issuing 1099 for them at the end of the year.What IRS forms do I need?I wanted to know before I consult my accountant.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Form 1099 misc. Box 7 - non employee compensation for anything over $600.

All I do is record it as an expense, fill it out, keep a copy and then send it to the driver.

How's it going?

Independent life going well?

henboy1

Expert Expediter
I must have been sleepy when I typed in this thread.
Independent life is going good Greg.How is Landstar treating you?Did you finally find a buddy agent to help you in hauling some of those loads out of the landstar system?I just bought my second truck.This is a 03 Columbia and a flatbed.I am putting a driver in it soon.I found a driver for my first truck and he has been on the road for about 2 weeks.I do dispatch him and it is not easy either.I am just happy I am now home with the wife and twins.
Good info!I am heading to my local IRS and where I do my IFTA to get those forms on Monday.hey, that power inverter issue, had something to do with vibration and not the power inverter killing the fridge.I installed a thick form/cushion under the fridge, and the road vibration stopped killing the fridge.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Good to hear your doing good.

Glad you got the fridge problem solved.

Nope, haven't found anyone willing to help out and rather had an interesting conversion with Dallas and a few others about a couple things including that issue a while back. But you know how it is.

Been just doing the hit and miss thing lately, running good overall since I finally got out of the house and on the road.

Speaking of flatbed, I looked at an interesting truck the other day and thinking about getting it. It is a T600 with a 22 or 24 foot bed and a quick draw tarp system on it. The guy want's to get rid of it and priced it cheap but it has some electrical issue which isn't an issue for me. I'm wondering if this would be a good move within this Landstar system. What do you think?

henboy1

Expert Expediter
Good to hear your doing good.

Glad you got the fridge problem solved.

Nope, haven't found anyone willing to help out and rather had an interesting conversion with Dallas and a few others about a couple things including that issue a while back. But you know how it is.

Been just doing the hit and miss thing lately, running good overall since I finally got out of the house and on the road.

Speaking of flatbed, I looked at an interesting truck the other day and thinking about getting it. It is a T600 with a 22 or 24 foot bed and a quick draw tarp system on it. The guy want's to get rid of it and priced it cheap but it has some electrical issue which isn't an issue for me. I'm wondering if this would be a good move within this Landstar system. What do you think?

I am clueless when it comes to certain terms.This sounds like a 6 wheeler attached to a 22-24 flatbed (permamnent) with a tarp system right?If so, I have never seen something like that in the LS system.Have you?So this means you can haul platform freight and most LTL flatbed loads right?.If this is right, then I think it would be quite hard finding flatbed freight that is a partial load to keep you busy within the LS system.I know you can survive as an independent but I am not sure about LS.Most LTL flatbed loads pay between 50cpm-80 cpm.If lucky you may get $1/mile.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am clueless when it comes to certain terms.This sounds like a 6 wheeler attached to a 22-24 flatbed (permamnent) with a tarp system right?If so, I have never seen something like that in the LS system.Have you?So this means you can haul platform freight and most LTL flatbed loads right?.If this is right, then I think it would be quite hard finding flatbed freight that is a partial load to keep you busy within the LS system.I know you can survive as an independent but I am not sure about LS.Most LTL flatbed loads pay between 50cpm-80 cpm.If lucky you may get $1/mile.

That's exactly what it is. I haven't seen one either and that's why I asked. I don't know much about the flat bed work. I talked to a few who are hauling 48 foot trailers behind their trucks and they told me they were getting a bunch of 15 to 20 foot work out of the agents last year but this year it hasn't been the case.

Well another box is going on this in the fall, so I guess I will stick to the old crate till sometime next year.

henboy1

Expert Expediter
That's exactly what it is. I haven't seen one either and that's why I asked. I don't know much about the flat bed work. I talked to a few who are hauling 48 foot trailers behind their trucks and they told me they were getting a bunch of 15 to 20 foot work out of the agents last year but this year it hasn't been the case.

Well another box is going on this in the fall, so I guess I will stick to the old crate till sometime next year.

15-20ft loads last year and not the case this year?I think it should be the other way round.Flatbed freight started picking up like a wild fire in april.The brokers couldn't even find trucks.Even Landstar agents were calling me after I posted my truck(as an approved carrier), and this wasn't so last year.Most people do not have that setup you mentioned because, they rather put that on a dully and get 13-15mpg than 10mpg doing that.Most people do the dully thing with tarps, and this is as long as 20ft trailers.Most payloads on LTL are around 10kibs.I think you should either stay with the box or just go 53ft with a tractor.What are you guys getting per mile on like 400 mile run in a straight truck?I mean TTT.Most BCOs are getting an average of 1.20-1:35cpm with a 53ft and a tractor.Just to give you an idea of flatbed freight and gross as an independent, my truck grossed $4100 last week and drove 2700miles.This includes DH.Yes I do have a stepdeck, which is also the same as a gross for a flatbed.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Greg:

Had a Curtainside expediter on with Landstar got some freight but not enough to warrant keeping it on. Lost loads actually due to the fact it was a curtainside! Additionally a single axle would be bad as most of the loads i took were well over 10k anyway. I had a 28ft deck on it and couldnt keep it loaded so i dont know that a 22ft would do any better.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Had?

Got rid of it?

It was all a thought. Have an issue with the size of my truck, not the fault of Landstar but myself.