Which APU do you have?

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
I'm looking to install an APU on my truck, been looking at the HP 2000 heat pump, any one have any experience with this one yet? I have also been looking at the Thermoking Tri-Pac...any input would be appreciated

moose

Veteran Expediter
It will help if you tell us more about your truck, will you consider connecting the radiators ? ,your operations, Team or not Ext. ...
are you looking for a CARB approve one ?
if so the TriPack will be out of reach for most Expediters .

I have the TriPac on the Expediter truck, and from an ownership perspective it is very good. but will not spec one for my own truck. (the sleeper will need to be build around the inverter .)
i have the Diamond power APU ,and am very pleased with it,except for the loud airflow when on high or AC.

if all possible ,it seams like the RV type generator ,with a roof mount AC, espar heat ,and a battery charger will work better for expediters ,thow it is not a shelf item ,you's have to spec it yourself.

if you are considering a battery powered APU, call Interstate truck source in Romulus ,they have the best set up , no dought this one will be my next one :)

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your reply, Moose, I have an 07' Freightliner straight truck w/ a Mercedes engine, I run solo and want the apu hooked to the radiator and batteries with the battery low and auto start The main idea is to save fuel while sleeping and waiting for loads...I had a Tri Pac on an international big truck I drove and it worked very nicely, thats what i'm looking for here.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your reply, Moose, I have an 07' Freightliner straight truck w/ a Mercedes engine, I run solo and want the apu hooked to the radiator and batteries with the battery low and auto start The main idea is to save fuel while sleeping and waiting for loads...I had a Tri Pac on an international big truck I drove and it worked very nicely, thats what i'm looking for here.

Becarful with apu units that run off your trucks coolant,if your apu develops a leak your going to lose engine coolant. We have a stand alone rigmaster,with shore power and inverter.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Becarful with apu units that run off your trucks coolant,if your apu develops a leak your going to lose engine coolant. We have a stand alone rigmaster,with shore power and inverter.

Our tri pac was leaking and we lost 8 gallons of coolant going cross country. Found the shut off valve, though. We now have an Onan, a Magnum inverter, rooftop ac, and espar heater. Our bunk heat broke, but the espar kept us warm all winter. The rooftop ac is the only way to go IMO, will freeze you out!

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I have a rig master it cools and heats the sleeper fine and has 6000k of power so i can run power tools if i need to and it charges the batteries its a stand alone so a coolent leak wont shut the truck down.

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
We wouldn't be without our APU. A very prudent purchase, so finding a truck with an APU is a bonus, but here's the problem with the APU's that I've seen. You need to know how well its been maintained, just as much as the truck. If it hasn't been maintained well, then it will cost you money in the long run, and you'd be better off putting a new one on the truck.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
We wouldn't be without our APU. A very prudent purchase, so finding a truck with an APU is a bonus, but here's the problem with the APU's that I've seen. You need to know how well its been maintained, just as much as the truck. If it hasn't been maintained well, then it will cost you money in the long run, and you'd be better off putting a new one on the truck.

I second that!

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.