WHERE WERE YOU 9-11-2001 ????

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where were you when you first heard of the tragedy of 9-11-2001 ??

I was on the Maryland-PA border sleeping at a rest stop in my van.

When I turned on radio around 09:45 that morning, disbelief was my first emotion.

Anger came next.

What were your feelings ??

Be safe.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
After the immediate shock, my feelings were near panic, over the safety of my own two daughters.
When the first reports were aired of the plane crash in Pa, I was worried about my eldest, who had moved to SW Pa just 10 days earlier - I wasn't sure how close to the crash site, but I had to call & make sure she & her family were ok. I hadn't memorized her phone number, so I had to go home for it - my boss was quite understanding, as no one was working anyhow. Everyone was glued to the tv, in horror, that morning.
As I pulled into my driveway, there was a special bulletin on the radio, a statement from Cleveland Mayor White, about the FBI holding a "suspicious" plane on the ground at Hopkins Airport. No other details were known, (including the identity of or reason for the attackers of the Twin Towers) at that point, so anything could have happened - and my younger daughter was in middle school, less than a mile from the airport...I wanted very much to go get her out of school, but finally decided against it - no point in scaring her, if she was safe. I could, and did, hug her all I wanted, when she got home. Both my daughters were ok, but the US hasn't been the same since, and neither have I. I rarely see a plane in the sky, without wondering, what if?
And I still wonder why we went after Saddam Hussein, and not Osama bin Laudin!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was home and turned on the computer and there was something about a plane hitting the World Trade Center. I then turned on the TV and saw the second plane come in and hit the other tower. I woke up my wife and my first words were "The country is under attack".

At first I was confused, then angry and still am to this day. Later that week we loaded some computer hardware out of Orlando to Jersey City NJ,across the river from Manhatten. It was a delivery to a stock brokerage company that had major operations in the second tower destroyed plus about 18 employees killed. We were there on Sunday and you could still see the smoke and dust rising. Very sobering experience.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was at work at the gunshop. When the first plane hit it was shock, disbelief, wondering what went wrong that the plane was off course and hit. I wondered which airport it had come from or was going to in the area presuming it was taking off or landing. When the second one hit it was obvious it was deliberate. Then it turned to furious anger, both at the ones who did it and the MORONS who deny second amendment rights while flying. Frankly, I hold the second group more responsible than the first.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
Generally, Texas A&M Corpus Christi, specifically my 0800 US History class, we actually had no idea what had happened until class dismissed and I went to the Student Center.

Bleary eyed as I was that early in the morning I wasn't even sure what I had seen was actually true. The reality of it set in a little later, and then I had an ROTC lecture and we talked politico-military implications of what had happened. Then band came around, and in band we did some bonding and didn't have much of a rehearsal.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I was an aircraft carrier. We where docked in NYC harbor. It was my first trip out on sea duty. We got there the night before and me and a couple of buddies were going to go see the towers the next morning with a couple of female sailors and I told my mom that the night before. One of the girls got hung up doing something so we left later than we had planned. We were in a cab when we heard a plane crashed in the towers so we got off the cab and hung out on the street. when we found out it was an attack we got back to the boat. I had forgot my cell phone in my bed on the ship and my mom couldn't get ahold of me. When i looked at my phone i had something like 75 voicemails from my mom. she said she called me 300 times. she was mad at me for leaving my phone, but glad I was fine. She said something told her I wasn't dead. i guess mother's instinct. we pulled out because the captain of the ship was scared we might have been next. I was so mad . Then I got orders to jump school then to 1st battalion 7th Marines then afganistan, then back to the states then iraq then out on disabilty. needless to say 9/11 changed my life in many ways. One of the things that I have tried hard to overcome and have had a hard time doing is not being critical of all middle eastners and muslims. for many it may sound shallow or narrow minded, but before 9/11 i wasn't racist against any group. since then i've had a hard time trusting arabs. when i see a koran i just get chills. but i deal with it in my own way which means keepin my mouth shut, and not letting a few bad people make me resent a whole group of people. it's hard to explain. the main thing is i have a loving wife who helps me. who sits up with me at night when i can't sleep. i know you all don't know me personally and might not care. i went in out of my own free will. i was ignorant in thinking war was like it is in movies. glorious. i don't know how those terrorist live with themselves. harming innocents who have done nothing to them. harming their own people even. i can't come to grips with i did to people who fired on me first. much less if i would have done it to innocent women and children who did nothing to me. when i was fighting against those people i would get scared of course, but i would think of those people in the towers leaping to their deaths. then i would get mad and seek revenge. i guess i have said to much. if this post is removed i understand. thank you all who have supported the troops.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was with on a plane that departed from LaGuardia that morning, bound for Los Angeles. We were put down in St Louis. The night before we had dinner at the restaurant atop the World Trade Center. I try not to think about it much.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
RE: WHERE WERE YOU 9-11-2001?

On 9/11/2001 I was still at home and about to leave to make my way to the EO Office. A friend of mine who is in aviation called and told us to turn the news on. My initial thought was it was an accident, that thought quickly went away when we saw the second plane hit the tower.

The rest of the day was like a nightmare – but it was real life, I came over to the office because other staff members were already there.

It was not business as usual, everyone just sat around the TV talking about the people who were in the towers and on the planes and the sheer terror for their families, prayers were made, what did this mean for America? Where do we go from here?

Our office is located right over the main flight path for the Greater Cincinnati Airport – by that afternoon it was silent. A very strange, surreal feeling.

We closed the office early that day and as I made my way home – I was amazed to see how the city basically rolled up, closed and everyone was at home. It was as still as Christmas morning – on a beautiful, warm business day.

Let’s never forget that day nor he people who caused it.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.

37% of Americans agree that while they would hate being British, they wouldn't mind having a British accent.

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

I hate the country, all those animals walking around un-cooked.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
RE: WHERE WERE YOU 9-11-2001?

I was driving aschool bus, I also remember during the O.J trial, I was drivivg a van while the verdict was being read.

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Hunting Sheep,Bear and Caribou in the Eastern Brooks Range in Alaska. It was a week after 9-11 before I heard about it.

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
I was working the Graveyard Shift at the V.A. Hospital in Tampa, FL.
I got home at 8:15 am, we were staying at some friends house while our house was being built. They are from Long Island , NY originally.
I had just gotten sound a asleep when Briggs woke me up and said " We Are At War, Get Up " ! Mind you he is a Korian war Vet and an avid gun collector.
I was soo groggy and went into their kitchen and witnessed the second plane hit on the T.V. !
These friends of ours lost 12 friends that they knew that worked at Cantor-Fitzgerald !
Terry, Briggs wife was crying and making calls to N.Y !
One of their friends that died was Terry's Daughters H.S. Prom Date !
Needless to say I did not get any sleep that day .
I went into the V.A. that night to work and in my 6 yrs there have "NEVER" seen such security and V.A. Police as I saw that night ! All the doors were locked, only way in and out was threw the E.R. !
That is where I was on 9/11/2001 !
RMCTT2
God Bless all !!!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Delivered in Toronto,and was sleeping. Upon starting up the Qualcomm at 11:30,the first message was that all the bridges and tunnels to NYC were closed. No other explanation, The full story came over the radio and our DISH Satellite TV.

We sat on the 401 for 19 hours,a day later. Traffic was backed up from Windsor to Tilbury as I remember.

Heck of a way to spend my birthday.

aardvark307

Seasoned Expediter
Getting my eyes checked. The doc had just put in the drops and I grabbed a seat in the waiting room. The TV was on, but of course, I couldn't see anything clearly until I got home later that day.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Where Was I?

Sitting in a cubical dealing with people who didn’t care about it when it happened and later dealing with a manager who didn’t really understand the event or what actually happened.

I was in NYC Friday after as part of a bunch of loads coming from Baxter and J&J as part of the relief effort and made my rounds with my consulting customers who were in WTC7. I had to fight to leave Friday early afternoon because of my manager. I was there until Saturday night and left without the impact hitting me until Monday, completely numb from the event

Seeing pictures of it don’t give the immense enormous mess this tragedy was about. I understand the limitations of the government, particular the NYC police and fire department because of my work, I find the entire blame game sickening and I have since become hardened towards many of the more outspoken family members who for the most part care only about the money. Since I know many people at the WTC who died, knew a couple people on flight 93 and two people at the pentagon, it has been a hard day to deal with.

You know when you think about it, we have truly forgotten about 9/11’s true meaning.

We as a country now have a tendency to blame someone else for what happened instead of facing the issues and solving them as a country. We forgot that this was not about one building, one complex or NYC but the United States. We forget the victims were not only the ones who perished but the entire country – every man, woman and child were victims of this and even today we can not let our guard down.

I mean simply put we care less about our true safety and how we can prevent it from happening than we do about Brittney’s bombing on MTV – rather sad.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We were living in Albuquerque NM on 9/11 and that morning we had planned to go hiking. While sitting out on the patio drinking coffee and waking up the maintenance man for our apartment complex came by and said a plane flew into the World Trade Center. Of course I had to go turn on the news and just as I did, they were showing the second plane hit. My stomach turned and couldn't leave the screen. We didn't go hiking, and for 2 weeks or more I watched nothing else but news. I remember the first time I heard a plane go over head after they resumed flying and it was an eerie almost frightening sound.
Our middle son was in Basic training for the Army on 9/11 and all I could think about was that he would be going to war. He ended up doing 2 tours in Iraq before he got out.

After 6 years, I am angry that we went into another "war" with no intention of winning. History is lost on the politicians.

are12

Expert Expediter
On 9/11, I was getting my brother ready to go to John Heinz Rehabilitation Center for extensive physical rehab. As usual, we had the TV on and when we heard of the 1st plane hitting the towers, we thought it was just a freak accident but then we saw the second plane hit.

We were horrified and could not believe our eyes. Our 1st thoughts went to all of my brother's friends and business associates that live in the City. (My brother lived in NYC for 15 years before getting ill). We watched in horror until it was time to leave for John Heinz.

When we got to John Heinz, we were just getting my brother's paperwork taken care of when a bomb threat was called in so the whole building had to be evacuated. I don't know what kind of sick person would do that but it caused havoc throughout the building.

The rest of the day and days to follow, we just sat in front of the television, watching in horror, all that was happening in NYC.

I must admit, I was angry that something like this could happen here in the United States. I don't know why I felt that way but I did.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We were not yet in the expediting business. I was working in my home office. Diane was on her way to work at the Governor's office in Saint Paul, Minnesota. She heard about it on the car radio and called me. I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV, not believing my eyes. In the Governor's office, staff payed close attention to the news. The Governor did a press conference to reassure people that state officials were on their toes. Most meetings and business continued as usual.

Six years later, on 9-11-2007, Diane and I were stuck for two hours in morning rush hour traffic in George Washington Bridge. A massive American flag hung over the roadway. It was raining, which made me feel better as a rainy day is not a good day for terrorists to launch a chemical attack, if they had one planned.

On the news, people are asked if you feel safer since 9-11. I don't. I wonder why bridges in the U.S. are structurally deficient and that is somehow OK. I wonder why after a ton of money was poured into Homeland Security, New Orleans citizens drowned in their attics. And I wonder why Osama bin Laden is still alive.