Where can I go to get real answers?

2pioneers

Seasoned Expediter
If a O/O is making lots of money I can understand that they don't want to give that information out. On the other hand a recruiter and truck dealership will tell you your gonna need a bigger truck to haul all your money in. I have not spoken with a company yet that is not taking on new trucks. If you have a good MVR,no record and the right CDL you have no problem getting a job. Is this business that strong? Just some REAL numbers as far as loads and money is all I ask.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You are looking for certainty in an uncertain arena. We all would like to know the "real" numbers, but the numbers we have are all we have. They vary greatly among expediters.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Loads and money are going to vary greatly from company to company, depending who you run for. Within the company the numbers are again going to vary significantly because people use different criteria for load selection. Even with specifics from an individual you will be minimally served these variables as well as luck entering in insofar as future results being affected by current choices. There are numerous people who have made good careers in this for many years, including some not so good years. I would take that as an indicator that someone who works at and learns the industry can do well, provided they do learn and work and provided they are not stretched razor thin entering. This is not an industry to enter without a strong financial base to build on.

moose

Veteran Expediter
The nice Thing about Expedite ,is the opportunity that presented to the O/O ,and a specially for teams .,
If you are smart ,dedicated ,and have a good business skills,
You will meet your financial goals.
There is money to be made in Expedite , and in compare to other Trucking segments ,its also in many cases a nicer deicer life style .
Yet many are not making it out there .
and there is a rezone ,
it is greatly individually dependent,
The opportunity is out there , and it is up to the individual to make it happened .
most's O/O on this site ,can give you a very detailed numbers as to how good or bad they are doing ,
It will say nothing as to how good you will do.
Good luck.
Its still windy behind IKE.

Moose.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
you need to know how much it is going to cost you to move your truck. The company is going to offer you freight, if the offer covers your "nut" and makes you a profit, take it and roll. Don't look at your settlement daily, weekly or even monthly. Look at it on a quarterly basis and even a bi annually basis if you can handle it.

If you take those loads that cover your nut, you will make money, how much is up to you and each of us have a differnet need. I don't need this business to make a dime ever, I don't need this business to pay any of my expenses for my household or the truck itself, it will pay for itself, but it really doesn't have to, you might need $4000 net a month, and others will need something inbetween us or more then the $4000, but only you know what you need and what you need to do to get it.

I don't care what others say, there is freight that needs moved, and you will be offered your share if you keep yourself available and are willing to work as hard as it takes. As in any business, you are the only limit in what you make. Yea the comapnies have to find your freight, but if you are available, they will get you loads.

And if you think they are screwing you, get your own authority and pay to join as many freightt boards as you can, and bid in the same freight they are...... There is more then one way to skin most cats.......

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Ok here we go.Each and everyone of us makes and needs a different amount of revenue per month.There are team trucks out here that net just a little more than the solo trucks,and there can be solo trucks that even make more than some team trucks,and there are team trucks that make alot of money.Since we dont know what size truck you are talking about, your question is even more difficult.Not all the expedite companies pay the same.some pay mileage,some pay percentage.There fuel surcharges are all different,so to give you a really straight answer is very difficult.I will tell you,if you have what the old timers call white line fever,you better stay away from expediting.The main reason I like it,most of my loads deliver as fast as I can get them there,and usualy the customer is very thankfull we delivered his load,cause then his plant isnt shutting down.Afterwards,we might sit a couple days waiting for that next load.Hope this gives you an idea what we all go thru

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Knowing your #s as mentioned is one of the biggest keys to your finanical success there is.

Many variables in expediting but you GOTTA KNOW EM.

Since I now know mine, and understand them (but I am an 18 wheeler in Truck Load) use to Expedite for 3 + years. This helps me in deciding when I can take that $3 plus load and what I can look for in a back haul. Thus I refuse to run for free unless its for me. I will DH before I will take a $1.00 load to many things can go wrong that you can be stuck with a load for longer than you anticipated thus costing you future revenue while babysitting.

So example I pick up an appliance load to Long Island Net over $1,800 with only less than $300 in fuel, I can now take a $1,100.00 load to IN knowing I will get back to my average of $1.65 a mile. Thus I am further ahead on the NY run but behind on the IN those two averages brings my overall average up.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Knowing your #s as mentioned is one of the biggest keys to your finanical success there is.

Many variables in expediting but you GOTTA KNOW EM.

Since I now know mine, and understand them (but I am an 18 wheeler in Truck Load) use to Expedite for 3 + years. This helps me in deciding when I can take that $3 plus load and what I can look for in a back haul. Thus I refuse to run for free unless its for me. I will DH before I will take a $1.00 load to many things can go wrong that you can be stuck with a load for longer than you anticipated thus costing you future revenue while babysitting.

So example I pick up an appliance load to Long Island Net over $1,800 with only less than $300 in fuel, I can now take a $1,100.00 load to IN knowing I will get back to my average of $1.65 a mile. Thus I am further ahead on the NY run but behind on the IN those two averages brings my overall average up.

Broom,that idea works on paper,but what happens if the receiver of that 1100 dollar load decides he doesnt want it til the day after you are planning to arrive there.now that is going to make your week a little short of revenue.trying to figure your numbers,$1800 load with only $300 of fuel,thats about 75 gals fuel,around 500 miles,so that 1st load would be bwtter than 3.40 mile,and if your dropping down to a 2 load average of 1.65,then your making someone rich hauling a load for .90 /mile

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Having a load sit on a truck an extra day isn't really a common occurrence. Not anymore than sitting hours on a load only to go and pick it up and it cancels for what ever reason.
Both can happen but we have had only a couple of each per truck since the beginning of the year.
Just a risk that one has to deal with.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
First of all that HAS NEVER EVER HAPPENED TO ME EVER. Second of all where I am its called DROP N HOOK. On cheaper rates I only look for Drop and Hooks when I can get it there when I want to.

Otherwords its called deliver BY 9/23/ 23:59 means I have until Midnight on the 23rd since I do not take. AT means it would have to be delivered 00:01 to 23:59 on the 23rd so that load would have to delivered on the 23rd not a day early.

I have had a load delay but never cancel once in motion.

Its all in averages, since Steve you just posted about 400 mile DH its all in ones averages and knowing ones numbers as to what it costs one to drive each mile cause every penny above that is profit and its up to OO to decide what bare min one can haul for, of course we all would like $2.00 profit on a 2000 mile run but lets get real its all miles.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
There is no way ever a .90 average is gona happen to me unless fuel comes back down to below a dollar a gallon. After re reading my post I am at a loss as to the response Steve you gave. The average was still way over $2.00 for all miles in the example above. $800 in fuel for 2,800 in revenue for not even 4 days. Thats bad? And the third load was in behind the Tractor on the 4th day.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
There is no way ever a .90 average is gona happen to me unless fuel comes back down to below a dollar a gallon. After re reading my post I am at a loss as to the response Steve you gave. The average was still way over $2.00 for all miles in the example above. $800 in fuel for 2,800 in revenue for not even 4 days. Thats bad? And the third load was in behind the Tractor on the 4th day.

Broom sorry when i was figuring the miles you ran i messed up,but you said 1st load for $300 for fuel which at 6 mpg would be 450 miles for 75 gallons of fuel.,and that would be a great load,you now state the total fuel cost was $800 that should be 200 gal fuel meaning that 2nd load would be costing you $500 or 125 gal of fuel.which should be at least 750 miles,and yes,1200 miles and $2900 bucks is great,Sorry for the bad post. $1800 for 450 miles awesome $4.00 per mile.